Anyone real familiar with some 'podium mics?

mixsit

Astatic 827A Cardioid Miniature Condenser Gooseneck 827A-17 B&H
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DDH2zECI0UylgvSodmUi9Dw&bvm=bv.80185997,d.cGU
Cheapest - ($100) Curves' in the ballpark..

Some AT's
U859QL Cardioid Condenser Quick-Mount Gooseneck Microphone || Audio-Technica US
Roll off with a rise
U857QL Cardioid Condenser Quick-Mount Gooseneck Microphone || Audio-Technica US
'Falter w/ roll off

I'm thinking about.. strapped to an acoustic guitar here. Not live' BTW. Quick easy recording here
w/o being stuck '+/-' a few inches from a mic is the goal.

If they could sound at least pretty decent..? The curves are probably about right- i.e. I know by some other mics four or five inches from the neck, need some roll off to counter proximity effect. A bit of high rise -or not, is ok. Decent tone right off would be a big plus, but I'm also ok with needing some eq along the way, that could be fine.

Mics strapped directly to guitars for sure tend to pick up a lot of low freq crap.
There i'm wondering if the long goose neck might subdue some of that?

Astatic 827A Cardioid Miniature Condenser Gooseneck 827A-17 B&H
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DDH2zECI0UylgvSodmUi9Dw&bvm=bv.80185997,d.cGU
Cheapest - ($100) Curves' in the ballpark..

Some AT's
U859QL Cardioid Condenser Quick-Mount Gooseneck Microphone || Audio-Technica US
Roll off with a rise
U857QL Cardioid Condenser Quick-Mount Gooseneck Microphone || Audio-Technica US
'Falter w/ roll off

I'm thinking about.. strapped to an acoustic guitar here. Not live' BTW. Quick easy recording here
w/o being stuck '+/-' a few inches from a mic is the goal.

If they could sound at least pretty decent..? The curves are probably about right- i.e. I know by some other mics four or five inches from the neck, need some roll off to counter proximity effect. A bit of high rise -or not, is ok. Decent tone right off would be a big plus, but I'm also ok with needing some eq along the way, that could be fine.

Mics strapped directly to guitars for sure tend to pick up a lot of low freq crap.
There i'm wondering if the long goose neck might subdue some of that?

Never considered using a podium mic for such duty but what the heck....

I keep a pair of Astatic (CAD) 920B flex shaft mics in inventory for school graduations, etc... I'm always impressed how good they sound. I've often wondered what they migh sound like positioned over the shoulder of a string player.

Thanks Tomm. So 'Astatic is CAD'. I only saw one ref. to that, wasn't sure.
Was about to try another site, this is just an idea peculating' here :)

Back