anyone know what kind of guitar this is?

question444

neilfinnsguitar.jpg

I would say it's an extremely ugly one with that disco era jacket!
Actually I think it's an Italian model of some kind, I will check some things out when I get home from work and see if I can narrow it down.:D

At first glance I though Ovation solid-body, but after digging around, turns out I was thinking of this ugly-ass thing:

atelier_guild_et_ovation250x333019-2.jpg

I'll have to keep looking for that one in your pic. Not being able to see the top side of the lower bout kinda sucks. I can't tell if it does anything except a normal curve where his arm is obscuring it.

Looks like a regular 6 string to me.

Oh c'mon, that's your suggestion? Don't make me drive down to Overland Park and pop you upside the head :D

Pic gets REAL fuzzy at the headstock, but that head looks like the wide, reversed headstock of a Westone or Westbury. I am pretty versed in both brands, tho, and have never seen that body shape. Also, both brands that are dual HB's do not have a pickguard- but somebody could have put one on, easily enough.

Got any clearer pics?

I had something very similar - it was an Audition but I don't know the model. It had that cut away at the back. It was set up with 2 single coils and was sunburst - wish I'd kept it - it's the only guitar I've sold! It had a great sound but was surplus to needs & I was needy.

Oh c'mon, that's your suggestion? Don't make me drive down to Overland Park and pop you upside the head :D

Eeewww...I try not to have contact with people on the wrong side of state line...thats a good way to catch a disease...but I have to go slumming and hit that Musicians friend store sometime soon...maybe you can come along and convince the hordes of Springer guests that I dont have any change to give them.

Just because that guitar is in the video it doesn't mean it was used in the recording.It could just be a prop that was laying around where the video was shot.

that is exactley what it is. A buddy of mine had one just like it when I was 15 years old.
Univox made one similar to that also

Are you sure its a Silvertone? I've looked at a whole lot of pics of vintage Silvertones and I haven't seen anything that has this body shape. All of the Silvertones I've seen look like one of these 2 body shapes:

1317.jpg

or

1457.jpg

It looks like Danelectro had a lot more odd body styles in that era, but I've yet to see anything with that concave end on it.

Are you sure its a Silvertone? I've looked at a whole lot of pics of vintage Silvertones and I haven't seen anything that has this body shape. All of the Silvertones I've seen look like one of these 2 body shapes:

1317.jpg

or

1457.jpg

It looks like Danelectro had a lot more odd body styles in that era, but I've yet to see anything with that concave end on it.

nope I am 99.9% positive. just because you cant find a pic of it on the net don't mean it didn't exist. Univox made one very similar to that. try finding a pic of a Univox like that and see what you come up with.
univox made a violin bass with a scroll headstock I would almost bet you won't find one of those on the internet either.

nope I am 99.9% positive just because you cant find a pic of it on the net don't mean it didn't exist Univox made one very similar to that. try finding a pic of a Univox like that and see what you come up with.
univox made a violinbass with a scroll headstock I would almost bet you won't find one of those on the internet either.

Absolutely, they were mostly budget guitars and it was a bit of a lottery what name went on the headstock.:)

Silvertone guitars were made by Kay, Harmony, Danelectro and later Teisco and badged as they saw fit,some later 60`s Tokai`s have very similair body shapes and pickguard layouts too.This might be one of the jap Kawai guitars.:)

Absolutely, they were mostly budget guitars and it was a bit of a lottery what name went on the headstock.:)

Silvertone guitars were made by Kay, Harmony, Danelectro and later Teisco and badged as they saw fit,some later 60`s Tokai`s have very similair body shapes and pickguard layouts too.This might be one of the jap Kawai guitars.:)

I didnt know Kay made them too.
man I wish I would have kept my old Kay guitars they are actually worth something now days:)
Kay is still in business, I wonder if they still make their own guitars or are they farmed out to China.

I didnt know Kay made them too.
man I wish I would have kept my old Kay guitars they are actually worth something now days:)
Kay is still in business, I wonder if they still make their own guitars or are they farmed out to China.

Think the Kay ThinTwin was first to have Silvertone name stamped in the early fifties,Kay and Silvertone marketed the same or very similair guitar,ugly brute as well.:D

Think but not 100% sure the re-issues are Chinese built.They are not exactly goin all out on advertising eh.;)

Silvertones had tape bindings and lipstick pickups,I don't think it's a Silvertone or Danelectro.The headstock is similar to newer Danelectros.

Back