Anyone know um57?

Hey, you know, the original poster may be asking a legitimate question, and you all are acting like a bunch of 9th grade smartasses. A UM57 is a discontinued vintage multipattern Microtech Gefell tube mic. I confess I've never heard one, but it's a safe assumption that it has similarities to a Neumann U47 and U67. Given that Microtech Gefell builds badass mics, and are the more legitimate inheritors of the Neumann name, it is a safe bet that a UM57 is a kickass tube mic. It is almost certainly is a wicked vocal mic.. Geez, you ask a question and get your balls busted. The closest most of these people ever came to an East German tube mic was when they fantasized about it while they were jerking off.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Hey, you know, the original poster may be asking a legitimate question, and you all are acting like a bunch of 9th grade smartasses. A UM57 is a discontinued vintage multipattern Microtech Gefell tube mic. I confess I've never heard one, but it's a safe assumption that it has similarities to a Neumann U47 and U67. Given that Microtech Gefell builds badass mics, and are the more legitimate inheritors of the Neumann name, it is a safe bet that a UM57 is a kickass tube mic. It is almost certainly is a wicked vocal mic.. Geez, you ask a question and get your balls busted. The closest most of these people ever came to an East German tube mic was when they fantasized about it while they were jerking off.-Richie

Richie, I would support your position if it wasn't for the fact that the original question lacked any amount of specificity. How long have you been posting here without realizing that vague questions are always met with a significant amount of ball busting?

And I only jerk off over Austrian mics...

Richard Monroe said:
Obviously you missed some of his other "legitimate" posts

Scrubucket7 said:
Why is there such a love for German mics? Ive never really heard of too many 'bad' german mics.

Well, that's because of a great sense of pride and self-worth. "You can kill me, but I will never sell a $#itty product. Hell, I won't even give it to you for free!!! I'll destroy it and build another one - worthy of my Germanic heritage!" ...Yeah, like that... umm, did you know Neumann typically will go through four to five diaphragms in the hand-selective process of finding the perfect one? Same goes for tubes and most of the rest of their components. Guess where those less than absolutely flawless parts go? You guessed it - the round file! This is also why you pay such big prices - you're actually bying "four or five" mics, hence the ultimate quality. Of course, slap on another $1000 for the prestigeous name - and you have a $6k masterpiece.

Come to think of it, neither do you hear of too many 'bad' german synthesizers, cars, guns, chocolate, or lingerie models (how 'bout that Heidi Klum girl? one day she births a viking child - the next day she's walking the runway!!) What is it with these small nations and their overabundance of the genius genepool, that they are so hellbent on proving to the world their supremacy. Why is it allways they who give us the Bachs, Mozarts, Bethoveens, BMWs, and really sexy tube microphones that capture so exquisitly all the delicate nuances of every sweet nothing we whisper lovingly to their big sparkling diaphragms?

Of course, as you can tell, I'm doing my very best to stereotype shamelessly here. So you might as well add Italy and Japan to the bill... But instead of babbling on I'll say this before I get offline, and go find my life (or if I can't, then get a new one)...>>>
>> Pride + Discipline = Skill = Quality <<
Ok, I'll shut up and go do something constructive...

hey hey

Thanks to the one guy who helped a bit. I was only asking if anyone knew anything from experience about um57s because i saw one go off auction on ebay for only 1700 a few days ago. Of course you never know what youre getting in an used old mic with tubes, so you might as well double the price in your mind if there are refurbs needed in the power supply or in the mic itself. But it still seemed pretty affordable for being a pre u47 tube mic. So i wanted to know why so cheap.

Hey every post i ever put in is legitimate. I have gone off topic, i have insulted morons, questioned others musical taste and ability, i have begged for shure 330 ribbon mics, and asked noob questions and helped noob questions.

But i stand by my opinions and beliefs. If anyone can prove me wrong about something i have said. DO IT. Ive found that in life if someone says something truthful that insults someone else, they try to shoot the messenger. Its a pretty basic psychological reaction to being wrong yet not wanting to admit it or change ones mind/life.

You can insult me all you want but i see you down at guitar center playing your shit versions of Hendrix, Zep, SRV, and any current radio rock garbage riffs over massive overpriced Marshalls with all the distortion turned to 11 and i laugh at you inside. Just fucking humping the hard rock dream into the midlife crisis sunset...

Well, you would probably help your cause by being more specific when it comes to brands and then models. If you had emphasized that you were referring to a Microtech Geffel UM57, the response would have been quite different.

Lesson 1: include as much detail as you can when asking about a particular mic. Don't assume the posters here are going to automatically understand what you are referring to. Most of us as 'home recorders' don't always have access and experience with higher-end mics and generally discuss cheaper, more accessable mics. You will occassionaly get responses from the more experienced Pro Studio users who can answer questions quite thouroughly, so long as you take the question above the level of the average home user. Never assume we all have experience with a rather esoteric mic.

Lesson 2: Wait around for someone to assume lesson 2 is going to be immediately following, so they can appear smarter than you.

Lesson 3: There is NO lesson 3. :D :D

Last edited:
PhilGood said:
Lesson 1: edited for simplicity.

Lesson 2: don't start a paragraph with the phrase "Lesson 1:" (especially with a colon!) and end your post without a "Lesson 2:" lol. When you get up on a soapbox you need to grandstand for at least 3 paragraphs for maximum effect.

Sorry just found that amusing. ;)

i've used a UM57 fairly extensively in the last year on a number of sources...the one i use has Bill Bradley's power supply...it was also serviced by Bill Bradley. it's got a neumann badge.

it's a tad on the noisy side (hisss) and a bit topp-y. it does have that larger than life thing going on with vocals but the sibilence one can get from it is fairly extreme. i've used it on 3 or 4 different vocalists, upright bass, acoustic guitar, room mic on electric guitar where it really rocked.

on vocals it is cool but i've really gotten used to my dynamics and ribbons. one thing you can do is tuck it down in the mix and it does not get lost easily.

the peakyish top end on the thing make it kind not like the u47's (2) and U67 i've heard. different beast. same capsule as the u47 but really different sound. the peak is somewhat mellow, if that makes any sense at all. it's not 'jagged' like an AT mic...more crispy.

blah blah - very cool mic...i'd take it...but it's a client's...i'll be using it saturday and sunday this weekend actually...probably sticking it on bottom leslie.

btw- i've never heard of any other manufacturer making a um57.

Mike

Back