Anyone know a good place to upload MP3s?

windowman

Napster isn't taking new members at the moment and I'm looking for a free server that will let me store MP3s to share with friends (not pirated.) Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks Ulli,

I'll have a look at them. I'm a member at MP3.com but what I'm looking for is just a plain old free server that lets me upload (and my friends download) some MP3 files whenever we want. At MP3.com you're really only supposed to upload your own tunes and then you have to wait forever it seems like to get them approved.

Gigabeat was pretty good for this but they were just bought out by Napster. I'll take a look at your other suggestions. Hopefully one of them will pan out.

BTW, for anybody's information...we all know that GeoCities gives you a ton of free space but they only allow you to use sound-files for background music on web pages. There's no way to let someone right-click and "save file as" with them.

What you can do is this: embed the MP3's (or whatever) into a web page. Just put the name of the song (or whatever info you want) on a blank web page and then embed the sound-file it. When someone clicks on the link to that page, the sound-file will download in the background. If you want to share that file with someone, just have them go to that url with the background MP3 on it. After it loads, they can go into their Windows "TEMP" directory and find it. Then they can just copy and paste to the desktop or wherever they want it to go. Works like a charm. Only trouble is, a lot of people aren't computer savvy enough to know how to root around in the Windows TEMP directory. That's why I'm looking for something simpler for them.

Also, that above scenario works fine for MP3's you download from a place like MP3.com too. Just snoop around for those sample files in your TEMP directory after downloading them. I promise you they're in there somewhere.

Back