Anyone Here Using CEP/AA For Radio Production?

obrienaj

Just wondering, how many people here are using CEP or AA for producing radio programs? I'm new with all this but did succesfully do my first show with AA this week, airs tomorrow at 9 AM !

I worked in radio for five years as a production manager and dj. We used Audition (which then was CEP) exclusively for producing commercials and loved it. None of our stations ever used it for recording their on-air shifts though because we had different production and on-air studios.

Snap said:
I worked in radio for five years as a production manager and dj. We used Audition (which then was CEP) exclusively for producing commercials and loved it. None of our stations ever used it for recording their on-air shifts though because we had different production and on-air studios.

Yeah, I'm pre-producing a show on the local FM station to save me from actually having to go in and do it live. Looks like our staff had trouble though, I listened at 9 and it did not air. They are still trying to get used to loading in stuff from the machine that has AA. I was replaced by the infamous "automation" system that kicks in to save dead air :( :mad:

I use it for preparing recordings of classical concerts for a weekly 90' programme. Couldn't manage without it!

That's right, but if I'm not mistaken, most of the people who come to this forum aren't radio guys. It's mostly homers here, right?

Of course, I'd be happy to have radio guys here lol. Radio guys actually *use* the software a lot oftener than homers, so they tend to be that much more knowledgeable about it.

Knowledgeability has its uses.

Quote me. :D

Trouble is, they're out there doing it and not feeling the need to talk about it! The radio forum on the Adobe site is pretty quiet, given the size of the radio user base. But I guess anyone at a station can ask someone else at the station for help rather than heading for the forums.

I've actually set foot inside a radio station 2 times in my whole life...for interviews. Both times, CEP did all the recording and editing. I remember clearly because, well, I recognized it. The 2nd time, I stayed for about an hour after the show and showed the guy some cool tricks, lol.

dobro said:
Like how to reset the clip meter using a keystroke?
Yeah...sort of. I showed them how to use the master fader (because they couldn't find it) which allowed them not to clip, HAHAHAHA.

Yeah but the average person doing commercial audio at a radio station has to intern first and then are lucky to make 25k a year. I know a few because I used to do commercial radio/marketing.

Also, none of those guys were really that knowledgable... even the ones doing it for 15+ years. It was sad really.

Maybe, but the guys who I've met who know most about Cool Edit are radio guys. I think it says a lot about the software, actually: "Now, let's see... We need an audio editor that's good enough, but which doesn't cost a bomb. Which one would that be?"

Well, I am returning to radio after a few years away. I had a training session on CE but the trainer did not know that much. I downloaded the free trial of AA and have taught myself a lot more than my trainer knew. My first AA produced show aired yesterday. Working on my second show this weekend for air next week. I even produced a legal I.D. recording using AA and the audio intro of the theme from Pulp Fiction. This had a few words that the FCC would not like, AA made it easy to take out the offending words. It's a whole new world to me, but very enjoyable. I did discover that a 2 hour show takes a LONG time to mixdown, THEN compress, THEN normalize, on the station's slow computer. About 8 minutes for each action!

The trial version runs out soon, anyone know of any good deals on a purhased copy ?

Back