anyone here run SX or 5.1 on a mac?

enemyofthesun

Is it all its cracked up to be? I mean I hate recording with a PC. yet I need the functionality. It seems that problems never cease to arise at the worst possible times.

Does a mac resolve all of this? If so what models would you reccomend? Also is the mac version and PC versions of SX the same disc or should it be bought seperately?

You'll get as many opinions, many of them very passionate, as there are people who use computers. Mac...PC.... I figure whatever you're used to and whatever you like.

When you buy the program, they send you PC OR Mac version, depending on which you request. They do NOT come on the same disc... at least they didn't with VST 3.x and they don't with VST 5.x. It would stand to reason that they probably haven't changed this practice for SX or SL.

Chris

I have an ancient G4/400, my basic setup is 32 tracks. I have tested up to 50tracks with Cubase5, and DP3.

I own Pc & Mac, the biggest difference is the user experience, less research is needed for the Mac. Any hardware that I have
added allways works the first time.

PCs are cheaper, but usually buying off the shelf brings the pain of incompatibility. It takes more time to research hardware, many argue that the info is free. but if you are a business it is time spent not billing a client. (at $40-$60 per hour it can add up quick)

Pc's are faster currently, and the Mac world is in a transition to OSX, that will probably take six months to sort out. (there will be some pain with the transition until all drivers, and plugins are upgraded.) Currently all of the large sequencer companies have commited to OSX, so now it's a wait and see.

PC's are cheap, I think both platforms work well together.

In my business I have to interface Pro Tools and Avid systems, most of these are Mac-based. Macs dominate in the pro media creation field.

At the present time it's hard to compare the speed of Pc's to Macs.
generally speaking if you add 200Mhz to speed of a mac you will get the equivilent PC. ie. 800 MHz G4= 1Ghz PIII.

You can jump to a Mac now and be productive under OS9, and make the transition currently everything works.

I'm not swithching to OSX untill everything is in place.

Back