Anyone have the TASCAM ATR-60-4HS/8 .. with a manual, perhaps?

Daniel, The channel cards are accessed behind the VU meter front panel. You have to undo the 4 front fascia hex screws and then pull the front panel away from the cabinet a few inches. There are wire harnesses still connected at that point and there is enough slack in them to place the panel down, in from of the amp unit so that you can do the various calibration adjustments when needed.

The cards themselves are much bigger then the cards in my MS-16 and I assume much of that is because of the two speed operation which requires different settings for each speed. Luckily though, because you have input and output pots on the front panel, you can tweak those when needed rather then doing a full blown calibration each time. Keep in mind though that those controls are only active when the un cal. light is on, on each channel and that's switched off and on by the pushbutton beside the lamp. They do that so that if you are strictly running your levels from the mixer, you can have a set straight level in and out, just like you would on an 8 track series recorder with no external pots.

The manual, if and when you get it, will step you through the whole procedure. A nice thing about a 4 track is that it takes a lot less time to do then a 16 track! :D

About loosing quality in the digital transfers, this is where having some very high end digital equipment is going to come in handy. The quality of the A/D converters will be all the more important now for preserving as much of the detail and tonality as possible...though in reality, I don't know if in fact digital is yet capable of all the subtle details and space that your deck can capture. At 30 ips, your deck is flat from 30-28Khz +/- 2db. with a s/n ratio of 76 db...pretty much like having Dolby C without the extra circuitry or NR artifacts!

It's a slippery slope! :p

Cheers! :)

Jeff, you're awesome man! Thanks for all the info. :)

As I sat down to look through the forum, a few hrs or so ago I had an inkling that indeed the 4 screws and front face had something to do with accessing the amp cards but now you've confirmed it! Seems like a piece of cake now. Thanks!! :)

Oh, BTW, to side step for a sec, one of the reasons I dislike hiring a tech to do the work for me is because of what I've found with the ATR. No, no worries, it's fine but some of the screws are almost stripped, no doubt, by the service guy trying to gain access (by any means necessary:rolleyes:). See, that's what I hate.. the blatant disrespect, even in the form of such tiny details. A few stripped screws on the screws you mention but I think I can still undo them.

Again, thanks for guiding me through, Jeff.

Yup, yup, I agree on the digital transfer thing.

About qualified, paid technicians, I'd easily assume that they would have and use the right tool for the job. So, when I see stripped screws on a machine, I think I'd be apt to place the blame on a rushed studio owner who is calibrating the deck himself and in a hurry to to get that done before the client shows up.

I realize that you tend to only pick very, very gently used gear and I can definitely see the reasoning behind that but, there's also the factor of un-experienced owners who often do far more damage due to their inexperience and lack of proper tools.

There's also one other factor to consider with the ATR60 series decks to consider with issue to stripped screws and that's the factor of how their build standards are still a bit on the amateur side compared to machines made by Studer or Ampex where parts are built with honest to god tank standards, with thicker parts and larger diameter screws that are much harder to strip in the first place. Those tiny little hex screws in question here are in-fact under engineered considering they're being used on a part of the recorder is going to need to be accessed perhaps hundreds of times over the life of the machine and yet TASCAM saw fit to cut corners and put in smaller, cheaper screws and thinner plating on the case that they screw into. That directly contributes to why your machine was a $5k machine when it was new and the equivalent Studer or Ampex was 2 to 4 times more expensive...even more so if you take inflation into consideration between 1966 dollars on an Ampex and 1990 dollars on yours.

Just as a quick follow up about the owner's manual; it turns out I do have the original binder for the manual as I found it this morning while looking through my files. I had swapped the binder for my 38 manual which didn't come with one years ago and forgot all about it!

Here's some pics...

VV4G8064.jpg

VV4G8065.jpg

VV4G8067.jpg

Daniel...GET IT!!! :D:laughings::)

I agree with Ghost to some degree...Tascsam did make some of those choices to get the gear into a price point...Look at their entire history. That's what they did, but they often aptly avoided cutting corners in the electronics to get to that price point. Again, they weren't boutique, but they didn't profess to be either...but solid engineering that resulted in relaible good-snounding products, and your ATR60-4HS has a stupendous transport...handles tape "beautifully" and those heads are a gems...not to mention the format. So while the screws might be smaller and certain structural components not as robust, I wouldn't say its not a robust deck. Again, my Ampex MM-1000 is OVERKILL when it comes to structure and I love that but its also 500~600lbs and takes up half the studio so...

I think a lot of engineers just left those screws out...the meter panel snugs up into place without them and as long as the deck wasn't going anywhere they weren't necessary for the operation of the unit.

Can you imagine what that thing would like in an MS-16 cart with the amp module flying in one of the rare overbridge housings?

Cory,

I agree with all that 110%!

TASCAM's electronics and heads were world class all the way and spec-wise, Daniels deck outperforms the Ampex 440 series by a couple of light years!

About having to imagine what the deck would look like with that console kit and the over-bridge, there's a picture of that exact configuration in the manual...but I'm not going to post it! :p I'll let Daniel do that when he gets the manual! :D

I think I'd be apt to place the blame on a rushed studio owner who is calibrating the deck himself and in a hurry to to get that done before the client shows up.

..there's also the factor of un-experienced owners who often do far more damage due to their inexperience and lack of proper tools.

There's also one other factor to consider with the ATR60 series decks to consider with issue to stripped screws and that's the factor of how their build standards are still a bit on the amateur side compared to machines made by Studer or Ampex where parts are built with honest to god tank standards, with thicker parts and larger diameter screws that are much harder to strip in the first place.

You've absolutely got a point there. :)

Just as a quick follow up about the owner's manual; it turns out I do have the original binder for the manual as I found it this morning while looking through my files. I had swapped the binder for my 38 manual which didn't come with one years ago and forgot all about it!

Here's some pics...

WOW! Thanks a bunch.... that's just awesome! :D

Daniel...GET IT!!! :D:laughings::)

...Tascam did make some of those choices to get the gear into a price point... but they often aptly avoided cutting corners in the electronics to get to that price point. .........your ATR60-4HS has a stupendous transport...handles tape "beautifully" and those heads are a gems...not to mention the format. So while the screws might be smaller and certain structural components not as robust, I wouldn't say its not a robust deck.

Yes, yes, Cory, I'm def getting that manual! The deal is done!:)

Also very valid points on the built philosophy. They did cut corners in certain areas but not in others. In addition to screws, something as seemingly trivial as the tape lift switch is made of light / thin plastic and it's showing cracks where the screws go. I think that for every dollar saved on such little details, the money went toward (as you guys mentioned above) making other more important areas especially good.

I'll let Daniel do that when he gets the manual! :D

No doubt! :D

Yeah, that is an amazing deck you've got there, Ethan. I too was in awe of the heads of my 4 track 1/2" ATR, especially as compared to the other decks I have.

Just a small update with photos. Well, really nothing to say except that I'm continually amazed by this deck. Take a look at the easy access, 4 screws and ya pull it out!:)

Attachments

• DSCF0152.jpg
    DSCF0152.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0159.jpg
    DSCF0159.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0161.jpg
    DSCF0161.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0175.jpg
    DSCF0175.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
WOW, Jeff, that looks like a nice unit, even has the original box! Yeah, too bad my electronics wouldn't fit the over-bridge 'cause I'd probably snap it up otherwise. Thanks for the heads-up anyway. :)

BTW, I love the guy's intro. :D

Yeah, his intro is pretty good but I assume its based on a bad experience or two. ;)

I've had a few responses on my stuff from guys wanting me to ship the stuff out of country too so I guess the problem is fairly widespread.

About that console, I am halfway tempted to buy it myself and put my 38 into it and the dbx units into the bridge. The only issue would be the brown/taupe colour combination that might make it look weird.

Not as wierd as the "flamingo" orange on the early 85-16...though that was wierd enough to be "funky" rather than "off"...

The price is right on the very nice console...if I were in your shoes, Daniel, I might snap it up and have taller side panels fabbed to hold the 4U meter/amp unit, but that would be quite a bit of hassle...

Yep, (regarding 4 screws and ya pull it out)...that deck was designed for professional service... ;):cool:

The other issue, if Daniel wanted to buy it is that the seller is in Toronto and Daniel is 3000 miles away. This is a local, cash and carry item on Craig's list so I'm not sure how that could be accomplished unless I bought it locally for him and then shipped it out to BC. The shipping would be pretty steep, I imagine! :D

Oh yeah...there's that too...hm...good thing I didn't take a Canadian geography class...would have hurt my GPA...

Informational update on that cart;

The seller has lowered the price to 125 and has informed me that the over bridge unit is a 3 rack space height, not the 2 space that we assumed.

He also has the spacer blank panels so that the gaps can be filled in.

If Daniel's not interested in it, I might just buy this for my 38 as it will make it look pretty cool and should help to fetch a better asking price if it ever sells.

This is a local, cash and carry item on Craig's list so I'm not sure how that could be accomplished unless I bought it locally for him and then shipped it out to BC. The shipping would be pretty steep, I imagine! :D

That's going a bit over the call of duty, don't you think?;) That's a mighty awesome offer but I simply can't ask you to do this, won't feel right about it. If it's going to happen then I'll speak to the seller about it. If he won't ship then I'll leave it alone. I'm still thinking about it though, whether I should even consider it.

Informational update on that cart;

The seller has lowered the price to 125 and has informed me that the over bridge unit is a 3 rack space height, not the 2 space that we assumed.

He also has the spacer blank panels so that the gaps can be filled in.

If Daniel's not interested in it, I might just buy this for my 38 as it will make it look pretty cool and should help to fetch a better asking price if it ever sells.

Geez, what a tempting situation this has become..:eek: Sometimes not knowing is best. :D I guess this means that the overbridge is adjustable and its currently setup for 2U? Hmm.. Shipping would be a costly monster, probably hit 200 total or more but that's still a good deal... Damn, dunno what to do.. :confused: Maybe I'll drop the guy an email and ask about shipping.. At the same time I don't want to potentially prevent a transaction between you and him.

I just sent him an email. We'll see what happens.

Cool!

I spotted this originally with you in mind so, if you do want it, you can have first dibs on it.

About the over-bridge being adjustable, I'm not sure how you're making that mental connection? The seller states it as a 3 rack space high space, period. You could put a two rack space piece of gear into there and then with a spacer panel cover up the open gap but the actual height of that piece would obviously remain the same.

I would also expect that if he is willing to ship it to you, then that would require a good few hours of his time to disassemble it in order to get it back into it's box and he'd be within his rights to charge you for his time and effort to do all that.

Anyway, please let us know what his response is or if you'd like my help in getting the unit for you.

Back