Anyone have any experience with the Shure X2U USB Adapter?

hithereeveryone

I'm coming up with my shopping list for a podcast studio and so far I am sold on the Shure SM58. What throws me is the XLR-USB conversion / preamp. If I get the bundle from Shure, which seems to be tailored specifically to my needs, it goes for $200 and that eliminates the need for a XLR cord. I'm less excited about the money saved from the cord as the elimination of potential cord noise and general lack of fuss.

On the other side is the Maudio Mobile Pre which is more expensive at $100 for the mic and $130 for the box plus cables, but allows for two inputs, better display for the clipping light, better control knobs. But the big question is, does it sound that much better?

I know we're talking about $60 or so of a difference in price between the two packages, but I'm wondering if the convenience of having the pre plug directly in to the back of the mic is offset by degraded sound quality. Because, really, it's all about the sound.

Incidentally, the SM58 does fit into a standard microphone clip, right? I keep seeing the odd mention of a Shure-fit mic clip and am wondering if that's just marketing BS or if there is a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick.

Back