Anyone have any experience with ev stage condensers

osus

hello. i'm looking into buying an sdc for stage vocals as a backup/alternate/replacement for my venerable ev pl77b. i'm probably looking to spend about $200 (unless i can find something old and nice). i've read lots of good things about the sennheiser 865 on these forums, but not so much about anything else. ev seems to have a few options in this price bracket and for this application--the co11, the n/d 967, the re410 and re510. and then there's that ev-blue cardinal that has yet to manifest itself. has anyone had good/bad (or any) experiences with these mics?

i'm less inclined (perhaps wrongly so) towards the sm86 because i've generally preferred sennheiser dynamics on my voice over shures. similarly i haven't really liked the audio-technica or akg's that i've had experience with--but these have been relatively few. i haven't sung into an ev that isn't beige with age, so for all i know they could be pretty awful these days, but my good experiences with a few of the pl's have made me fond of them.

i realize (based on reading a lot of these posts) that typically if you spend $200 dollars these days on a certain type of mic, most brands will give you $200 dollars' worth and really what you're changing are nuances (although important ones). As such, i'm not asking 'what's the best stage condenser for $200, i'm just asking if anyone's had experience with these mics (or others in this range) and particularly how they would compare in terms of 'flavor' to other mics of this design & price.

since i don't have access to these mics to try them out, i'm shopping online based on prior experience with other mics made by these companies and the opinions of people who have used them. and, of course, which looks the coolest.

thanks

Back