Anyone have any Ansar Caps for the Apex mod?

qbert1

I posted this in the Apex mod thread, but at 11 pages, I'm guessing it's likely going to go unnoticed.

Does anyone know of another source for the Ansar SPA 1uF 400v capacitor needed for the Apex mod? The tubestore.com isn't stocking them any longer and as far as I can tell neither is anyone else.

Is there another brand of cap that should be considered? I'm sure size was an issue.

Is there someone who bought two but only needed one, and would be willing to sell me one?

I got all hyped up about this after finally reading it over the weekend. Ordered the mic, tube, Black Gate etc. but am hung up on this.

HELP ME!

Thanks for the links but I thought the Ansar was chosen for it's quality and it's size. Are these on par in quality? I'm pretty sure they're larger.

Bryan

Last edited:
I wouldn't fixate on only using an Ansar cap. If using a mylar increases the quality by 5% an Ansar will increase it by 5.5%. Caps are important to the sound, but virtually anything bedsides an electrolytic, tantalium, or ceramic cap will be a great improvement.

That's good to know. Ansar isn't returning emails. Among other caps to try, I was able to get a 3.3uf CPA Ansar. We'll see how that works. Philgood, do you have any pics showing where these caps should live? It seems like creativity will be key, a quality I have very little of as of late.

When I modded a similiar mic but with a bit wider body I
moved the tube sideways to fit Aydyn-cap ( 1.5 uf 400v. )on the side of it.
Matti

Back