Anyone ever record a bass rig (guitar) with a Shure B52?

chadsxe

I have always recorded bass DI through my GR MP 2NV. This has yeiled great result but I am wonder if better is a possible. The rig I will be working with is a GK head running through the SWR cab (4X10). Out of the mics I have the only one I can see that might work is the B52. I plan on running both a DI and a Mic on my next session. Has anyone ever had any success with the B52 in this situation? This might be a stupid question but I have never miced a bass rig before and I was also looking for some advice on placement. Should I go about this in the same manner as I do with guitars. Is it of the norm to get the mic nice and close to the cab? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Chad

I've used a B52 before on a similar setup--it's likely to pick up more low end than high end attack. You might consider double mic'ing it if you have the channels available, even with something like an SM57 along side. As far as position goes, I usually place it a bit further back than for guitar--but really experiment and see what gives the best sound for the particular amp settings and bass; it can vary.

Well I have the channels but I don't know about the mics. At this point I have teh B52, 4xsm57, bets57, bets87a, ksm27, and the whole shure drum mic pack. I guess I can throw all of them up and see what I get. When you say further are talking inches or feet?

Inches. Doesn't need to be too far back; but maybe not right up against the grill. Depends on the sound you're going for.

One thing to watch out for is the bass buildup. The 52 up close with its proximity effect will provide a lot of low end. You might have to turn the lows down on the amp a little compared to what you would have it at playing live. Also keep the cab away from corners where you will get even more low end buildup.

You should be in great shape. I do just this all the time. start with the mic on the center of the cone a few inches back and adjust to taste. I will some times be right on the grill, other times a foot or more back (but usually closer) Dont forget to try flipping the phase of one of the channels to see which way sounds better to you

Canobliss said:
One thing to watch out for is the bass buildup. The 52 up close with its proximity effect will provide a lot of low end. You might have to turn the lows down on the amp a little compared to what you would have it at playing live. Also keep the cab away from corners where you will get even more low end buildup.

i agree, i love the b52 on bass cabs, but the proximity effect can sneak up on you

(lately i like the re-27)

Back