Anyone else getting a spam attack "from" Line 6?

ggunn

Crystal Flavolian
Someone has apparently hacked Line 6's system. So far I've gotten something on the order of 800 emails of their March newsletter from them today (Fri 3/20), all timestamped today at 7:58 am, and they are still coming in. I've got them diverted to the trash, but I still have to empty it. Is anyone else getting this crap or have I been singled out?

I'm on their email list, and I haven't gotten anything out of the ordinary. Guess they like you! :D

(Check and see if the emails have coupons. 800 coupons = free stuff!)

Empty your trash. I had a similar problem when I let one of my folders get too full. Get rid of you 'sent items' too. There are limits to what those folders hold. When they reach the limit, they don't send the 'received' signal to your email server, so your server keeps sending you the same thing over and over.

Empty your trash. I had a similar problem when I let one of my folders get too full. Get rid of you 'sent items' too. There are limits to what those folders hold. When they reach the limit, they don't send the 'received' signal to your email server, so your server keeps sending you the same thing over and over.

I'll clean out my "sent" folder, but I stay on top of the rest of it. I move chunks of my inbox into local folders when it starts getting large, I purge it of large files frequently, and I empty the trash every few days - every few hours now that I've got Line 6 stuff diverted to the trash (it's still piling in). I'm pretty sure that this stuff is coming in from the outside.

I'll clean out my "sent" folder, but I stay on top of the rest of it. I move chunks of my inbox into local folders when it starts getting large, I purge it of large files frequently, and I empty the trash every few days - every few hours now that I've got Line 6 stuff diverted to the trash (it's still piling in). I'm pretty sure that this stuff is coming in from the outside.
Maybe their send folder got full.

Maybe 799 of your friends are playing a joke on you and signing you up for mailing lists....

or maybe Line 6 is screwed up, I haven't gotten anything yet however.

Uhmm... could you just block that address?
Do you know how to do that in FireFox? So far I've only been able to get it to filter those emails into the trash.

EDIT: Never mind; I figgered it out.

EDIT 2: Scratch that. They are still accumulating in the trash, but just marked as read.

Last edited:
Just for giggles, you might want to log into your email server and see if line 6 is actually sending these things or if your email server is stuck in a loop. If you see the email on the server and delete it, if it doesn't pop up again, it was your server screwing up.

yeah.. i'd guess your email server is stuck in a loop. If you can log in through a web interface, go in and delete that message/others that you have already received.

It seems like the email server things you haven't got the message yet, and keeps trying to send it to you.

Just for giggles, you might want to log into your email server and see if line 6 is actually sending these things or if your email server is stuck in a loop. If you see the email on the server and delete it, if it doesn't pop up again, it was your server screwing up.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Let's see here......

Firefox is a web browser, not an email program.

So how can you change any settings in Firefox that will have any affect on email?

If you are looking at email in a browser, then you either have what is called "internet email" (e.g., yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.) or you are logging in to your Internet Service Provider account on the web instead of using your email client application on your pc. If you have "internet email" then there is no way they are going to let you log on to their server. If you have ISP email available online then it's possible your ISP can tell you if the emails are legit or not with a phone call to tech support.

Either way, Firefox settings shouldn't have anything to do with it. Of course, there is obviously a lot I dont know about Firefox....... so please fill in my gaps if necessary with real knowledge.

I only commented because no matter what I do or who I email or who I talk to on the phone, Line 6 will not remove me from there email list. I get there crap "offers" every month like clockwork. Last time I complained about it was a couple weeks ago. Seems like first of every month. If they cant figure out how to do a simple remove from the spam list, they need to hire a new programmer. I got rid of everything I had that says "Line 6" on it, and now I cant get rid of Line 6..... :mad:

Did you mean Thunderbird, the Mozilla email client? I use it and have had that problem before (not with line6 h/e). Clearing all of my emails and restarting my computer fixed it. Weird glitch.

Let's see here......

Firefox is a web browser, not an email program.

So how can you change any settings in Firefox that will have any affect on email?

If you are looking at email in a browser, then you either have what is called "internet email" (e.g., yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc.) or you are logging in to your Internet Service Provider account on the web instead of using your email client application on your pc. If you have "internet email" then there is no way they are going to let you log on to their server. If you have ISP email available online then it's possible your ISP can tell you if the emails are legit or not with a phone call to tech support.

Either way, Firefox settings shouldn't have anything to do with it. Of course, there is obviously a lot I dont know about Firefox....... so please fill in my gaps if necessary with real knowledge.

I only commented because no matter what I do or who I email or who I talk to on the phone, Line 6 will not remove me from there email list. I get there crap "offers" every month like clockwork. Last time I complained about it was a couple weeks ago. Seems like first of every month. If they cant figure out how to do a simple remove from the spam list, they need to hire a new programmer. I got rid of everything I had that says "Line 6" on it, and now I cant get rid of Line 6..... :mad:

D'oh! You are correct, of course. Not FireFox but Thunderbird. I was momentarily confused because THIS is FireFox. Both Mozilla, but different apps.

Did you mean Thunderbird, the Mozilla email client? I use it and have had that problem before (not with line6 h/e). Clearing all of my emails and restarting my computer fixed it. Weird glitch.

Thanks; I'll try that. Did you just copy your inbox to a tmp folder before clearing it and restarting?

And yes, of course, I meant Thunderbird, not FireFox.

hmmm.. i mentioned this before (kinda).. but try loging onto your email account via a web interface, and delete the email from line6 there.

If your email provider does not have a web interface (or you don't know how to get to it).... try this web site. http://www.mail2web.com/

This site allows you to log into your email server directly through a web browser. If you delete the line6 email through this, i suspect you will stop receiving it when you check your email via Thunderbird

hmmm.. i mentioned this before (kinda).. but try loging onto your email account via a web interface, and delete the email from line6 there.

If your email provider does not have a web interface (or you don't know how to get to it).... try this web site. http://www.mail2web.com/

This site allows you to log into your email server directly through a web browser. If you delete the line6 email through this, i suspect you will stop receiving it when you check your email via Thunderbird

Done. I'm betting that will work, seeing as the offending item only appeared once on the server.

Thanks!

Coool. yeah... i've seen many times before where for some reason the email gets jammed up on one email. Delete that one, and fixes it.

Yep, that did it. I take back all the mean nasty things I've been muttering to myself about Line 6. Well, most of them, anyway. :D

Thanks!

Back