anyone diggin' the AT4033CL out there?

blueroommusic

you want this big boy?
I've had one of these mics for several years now, and can say with all honesty that it's one of my go-to mics. So I decided to name him this weekend (it was a LOOOOOng session), and I shall call him "Cornelius the Great". I record mostly rock bands, and have had some great results on distorted guitars, vocals, even drums (M/S, and even as an overhead).

just thought i'd give "him" some love while i'm at work...he's probably lying in bed naked waiting for me to get home.... :p slowly stroking......

absolutley love the mic on acoustic guitar. It sounds absolutley stunning. Have used it on various vocals with great results as well.

So I guess I'm diggin it.

The Swiss army knife of condensors for sure. They're like a 57. Maybe not brilliant but they never suck.

I've had one for over six years - it's not a CL though. Love it on guitar amps and acoustics, room mic for drums, vox, etc. There's something in the mid range honk area that I don't like for certain things, but on others this mic is an awesome tool.

Funny how when I first got it, all the "engineers" I knew were trashing it before they even knew anything about it. Now they all want to borrow it or buy it from me.

RezN8 said:
There's something in the mid range honk area that I don't like for certain things, but on others this mic is an awesome tool.
Exactly. It's the color of that "honk" that either makes it work or kills it.

My first "proper" LDC (I use the quotation marks, because according to some, the diaphragm's a little too small to be considered a "true" LDC) was a 4033. I've now, seven years later, got a pretty decent mid-to-low price mic cabinet encompassing several immaculate vintage ribbon mics, the usual Shure dynamic and PZM contenders and many condensers from Groove tubes, MXL, AKG, Audio-Technica, Oktava and others.

Of all of my mics, my wonderful old 4033 is still the one I KNOW will do the job for me. I might go to my GTs or Solidtube first, but that's only because I know that if they don't work, the 4033 simply will.

My wife's got several decent mics of her own, but almost always tracks any first takes with the 4033, for the same reason.

Of course, I paid four hundred quid for mine. And that was three hundred less than list at the time...still don't regret a single penny of it. I was recording a local compilation CD at the time (largely on a Fostex DMT8!!!!), and if it wasn't for this mic, I can honestly say that it wouldn't have been half the record it finally came out as.

Back