Anyone demoed/used Mackie HDR 24/96?

I am considering ditching my Adats and computer and getting a Mackie
HDR 24/96 hard disc recorder. Anyone used it or heard anything good or bad?
Thanks for you opinions in advance.
Rock On!

and the reason it makes more sense is because....???? These are new products to me also and I would also rather have one unit VS three MDMs. Please continue your opinion.

well, I'm not gonna make a list of why I think it's better..Do your own research, then decide for your self.

ametth

oh...thanks.......thought you might have had some useful insight into these new products.

ametth...for fear of sounding critical, I sense an obnoxious tone to your posts and more importantly, I unfortunately have gained nothing from them. Maybe you might offer some of YOUR "research" when you have a bit of time...it may add a tad more crediblity to your posts. But, if you're on Mom and Pops' computer, I can understand that you might have other priorities. Happy recording.

mixmkr: Your not sounding critical...you're dead on. I'm just tired of people not doing any research on their own. I have the same information that everyone else has, and on paper, the tascam unit looks better. If for some reason, www.tascam.com and www.mackie.com, don't work in your browser. I'll be glad to make a list of the pro's and con's of each unit for you, and why I think the tascam one is better. I'm here to help.

"But, if you're on Mom and Pops' computer, I can understand that you might have other priorities. Happy recording." <<< Thats pretty clever, did you think of that one your self?

ametth

I have used the the mackie and can tell you only good things about it.I've never have had
the chance to check out the tascam.The mackie is very versatile.I wouldn't throw your adats out though you could sync them together. sound qaulity is excellent and the hard drives are about $140-200. hope this helps alittle more than ametth.My opinoin is this research.
peace
supper

Thanks -Supper- for the voice of reason. I research all the specs,features and
price of anything I buy. Since they seem to compare pretty evenly I was looking for someone who has heard the damn things! I live a couple hundred miles from any music or pro audio stores so all your opinions are very valuable to me. Thanks.
Rock On!
Tim Traynor

I heard the Tascam at an AES meeting a while ago. They had a guy from Timeline come is and demo the unit. It sounded really good and performed flawlessly, it didnt blink at recording 24 tracks at one time. Now Tim..why were you leaning toward the Mackie after comparing it to the tascam? The tascam seems more versatile to me(I'll cover that in my next post). I'm curious, Thanks!

ametth

[This message has been edited by ametth (edited 07-26-2000).]

The main differences I see are that the Mackie has a 20gig hard drive and the Tascam comes with a 9 gig. Mackie ads stress the ability to plug in a mouse,monitor,and keyboard and go. Tascam is sort of vague on how you use a computer to control recorder. Also the various ins and outs and remotes are cheaper on the Mackie. I think the Tascam can record only 12 tracks at
24/96, I am not sure what the Mackie can do. Anymore opinions?
Rock On!

Ok here goes…I like the Tascam because:

1. The A/D converters are ready for 96K recording. Unlike the mackie, which if you buy the A/D converters for that, you will have to buy more converters if you want to use 96K recording.

2. You can have analog AND digital I/O (simultaneous).. unlike the mackie.
3. CHEAPER!!!

4. It uses SCSI drives as opposed to IDE.

5. OPEN TL – this is the tascam’s edit decision list (EDL), it keeps track of placement, editing, etc..of all the tracks on it. Their EDL is open source, meaning any software company can easily implement it into their software. And they are working with software companies to do this (steinberg, sonic foundry, etc….)

6. More backup options.

7. It’s available now.

These are just a few things, I’m sure I’ll think of more.

ametth

Both of these compared sound good. But I´m more interested of the possibility to use monitor, keyboard and a mouse with the mackie. The thing I would like to know would be that is the mackie as stable as - for example - Pro Tools. I mean that if it´s just like any pc or mac i´d go with those instead. The screenshots I´ve seen have very much influenses from the digidesign product, which gives me a great deal of expectations.

So, do you guys have any experience of really using the mackie HDR 24/96?

well considering that the mackie hasent even shipped yet, there are very few people who have used it. I've heard bad and good things from the people whp have had the opportunity to use it, the tascam is shipping, and have heard good and bad things about that..but for the most part it looks to be doing what tascam said it would.

as far as a computer goes, thats where the mackie has an advantage. with it (well what the literaute says anyway) you can plug in you mouse, key, and monitor, and start editing. with the tascam, yuo have to have a computer to visually control the editing. the tascam machine and the computer talk through an ethernet connection. that being said, I would still go with the tascam, thats a very small selling point to me..you may have different needs, so being able to edit without use of a computer might appeal to you more.

ametth

Back