Anyone care to evaluate Magics Samplitude Pro Recording Software.

Tyson

I have been looking into the echo layla 3g interface and cubase SX. At www.zzsounds.com this would cost $1,078.00. The RME Multiface+Samplitude bundle at www.zzsounds.com cost 1,299.95 and includes the card for the multiface. I know that the multiface is much better interface, and for a $200 price difference between it and the echo layla with cubase sx it seems pretty tempting. Anyone use Samplitude? Is it better than Cubase, I know it cost 1,000 separately. Is this deal too good to be true. Its like you get the multiface and card for 300 with the purchase of samplitude.

I switched from Nuendo 2 to Samplitude 7 and I'm thrilled with it.

That being said - If you use a lot of automation and MIDI, etc., you might want to look into more detailed info... I use it almost strictly for mastering, so there's no MIDI, no video, never more than 4-6 stereo tracks running simultaneously.

Although I understand that Samp8 handles a lot of what Cu/Nu users were waiting for...

There is a demo at the Samplitude site, BTW...

I've started with Samplitude about 2 months ago and I love it.

Heres a good deal on a fireface w/ samplitude for $1400.00 + $100.00 discount too so only $1300.00.
http://www.macmidimusic.com/prod.itml/icOid/6384

Worth the extra $100.00 for the fireface 4 great pres, 16 channel of DAT and more.

Add the V8 upgrade for only $249.00 for classic or 399 for professional.

I use an RME digi9636 with two 8-out expansion boards. The digi was bundled with Samplitude 6. The only problems I have with Samplitude are that there are too many convenient features not covered in the manual and too many hotkeys. I've accidentally pressed the wrong key combination and have gotten split screens or weird .wav manipulations that I can't restore without closing and re-opening the application. Also, there are some instances that, when working with a lot of tracks, a system burp can make you lose track assignments, which can be a pain when you are outputting multiple tracks to an anolog mixer.

The online mixer is pretty nice but the window can be difficult to resize.

These are all small frustrations compared to the actual operation of the software, which is damn near flawless. Almost every problem I have run across has been user error, placing too much a burden on the system, or soundcard interface problems (which was again more user error as RME is unbelievably stable). Wave manipulation is extremely easy, though the learning curve is a bit steep.

Using a Fireface and Samplitude 8 with 2 UAD-1 cards, and I am truly happy with my setup for the first time ever !

Moved from Samp 7 and a MOTU2408MkII, what a difference.

Samplitude is a very impressive package, and would be my first choice unless I needed serious MIDI capabilities, which I don't.

Nathan

Back