Anyone care to comment on Logic?

Paris

Someone is reccomending Logic and a Mac G4 as being a premier computer recording setup. They are also suggesting a DIGI001 interface with this setup for the a/d conversion. I don't see a Logic forum so I am welcoming comments. Thanks.

I don't know if I would call that a "premiere" setup even if Logic was really good, but I've never used any of the Logic products so what do I know. With that G4 you certainly are going to pay some premiere money for it though. The Digi001 interface looks really cool, but the really appealing part of that whole package isn't the hardware, it's the ProTools LE software that comes with. I'd ask whoever is recommending this why you would need Logic on top of ProTools LE. I'm not saying you don't, I'm just curious what extra benefits you get.

It certainly would get the job done for a home studio setup, but depending on your needs you might get by much cheaper going another route.

Logic is a world class midi sequencer,and the LE software has a so-so sequencer...Logic is very deep...motu digital performer is easier to get around..

JonX and captain54, many thanks for your responses. The gentleman reccomending Logic said the internal effects and eq are the best he's heard anywhere. I do think its kind of weird that the Digi001 comes with Protools LE. Someone at a different music store pointed that out to me and I thought hmmm. The person wanting to sell me on Logic is getting the same system for himself so I will be able to preview it.

I repeat, Logic is DEEP...

I spend a lot more time working the software than making music and that is not cool my friend..

the LE software is not the be all end all either..but as an audio platform the Digi 001 is a hell of a lot of bang for the buck....

Austin...great town..was just there and caught a show at Anton's...

Hmmm. I've spent a LOT of time screwinng around with technology already. I came from the analog world(Tascam 38) and bought a Rroland VS1680 for all the editing properties. It came with a shitty manual and thats what launched the VSPlanet. So we could all help each other out. Now it seems that the latest buzz is going in to the machine s/pdif and bypassing the A/D converters because they are "sub-par". That would only allow the recording of 1 stereo pair at a time if you were to stick with that therory. So I've been contemplating another avenue. I know, I know, another steep learning curve? I'm frusterated.
Antone's huh? Year poor Antone got put away for 3 to 5 for selling pot and laundering money. A lot of people in the community asked the judge for leaniency because of all the good things he has done for the music community and for musician hardship cases.

Have no fear, the captain is hear..maybe this can end some of your frustration....
http://www.logicuser.net
you will find a link to the logic mailing list/forum, where a good bunch of people can answer any and all questions..logic-user@egroups.com

Also logicuser features a tutorial that has helped me out quite a bit....

The hot setup ive heard about is the G3 450 (found for about $1500) and either the digi 001, the motu 2408, or 1224 mark2, and the protools LE with either Logic or motu Digital Performer..

Its a tough call...if you have the patience and determination, go for the logic, you can never stop learning...on the other hand, digital performer has a great sequencer and the whole program is a lot less of a headache than logic..I have the vs 880ex synced with the logic platinum 4.1 midi sequencer and it is a great writing tool..I myself am looking at either a 2408 or 001...bout the same money

Poor antone...wonder whats going to happen to his club.and doesnt he have a record label too??..saw Guy Forsythe there, and Guy showed up late, but once he got started he was ok..
some little lady got up to sing one song, she was no more that 5 feet tall, and when she let it rip she blew everybody away...her name was Carolyn Wonderland...it was the damndest thing I ever saw..

Back