Anybody use Whotune?

Washburn100

Not sure where to put this thread. I read about this site in Recording Magazine. I browsed through it and it seems interesting. I'm currently using Soundclick, but I was curious if others use it and their feedback.

I searched the forums, but nothing came back. The url is:
http://whotune.com/

yep....

my site is on there, search for Trail of Ash. Nice marketing theory behind it - you sell your songs after you pay the $25.......wait what?

haha no it's a pretty looking site, but that's about it.

Never heard of it. Sounds like the $25 fee is put towards advertising so that more people pay $25 and then they make money off the musicians who think they're going to sell 10,000 CD's.
The only people making money off the music business are these scam artists feeding the dream machine.

hmmmm

hi Guys- I had a bit of giggle at Ido's response- aaah the Negative short sighted musician is alive & well I see!!

As the founder of Whotune I've spent thousands of hours with my partners creating a website that has some really useful features for Unsigned artists & all of them are FREE to use with the exception of the Sales account option- yes, this is an option- users can opt to Make their songs Listenable BUT NOT downloadable or they can be Free downloads or they can pick a price to sell them for. We dont dictate a price-its up to the user to charge what they want for a song. Most sites dictate the price- most sites take between 30 & 50% of the sale price- we take 15% (you do the math) this fee covers (barely) the Paypal fee we are charged on each transaction).

Whotune is far more than just a sales platform & any artist who actually took the time to visit it would know that. We have more features than any other site out there & we have a ton more coming.

We are still the new kid on the block so we dont have the weight of numbers that Myspace has but we have a much more focused approach to giving Unsigned artist all the tools they need to promote their music & also connect with each other & fans.

The narrow minded attitude of musicians like Ido is to be expected- there have been maybe some scams in the past but if anyone thinks that charging $25 to set up a sales account on a music site that has so far cost over 400k is 'Fastlane to wealth' they are an idiot & clearly ignorant of the commercial realities of creating a website like whotune.

Most sites charge a bigger upfront fee to sell music & many charge a PER SONG fee to submit! So our fee is the best out there. As we grow- the opportunities for artists will grow. But the Negative doom sayers are welcome to stick to bad mouthing everyone on forums- after all-thats much easier to do than actually CREATING something for other musicians to use FREE of charge!

hi Guys- I had a bit of giggle at Ido's response- aaah the Negative short sighted musician is alive & well I see!!

As the founder of Whotune I've spent thousands of hours with my partners creating a website that has some really useful features for Unsigned artists & all of them are FREE to use with the exception of the Sales account option- yes, this is an option- users can opt to Make their songs Listenable BUT NOT downloadable or they can be Free downloads or they can pick a price to sell them for. We dont dictate a price-its up to the user to charge what they want for a song. Most sites dictate the price- most sites take between 30 & 50% of the sale price- we take 15% (you do the math) this fee covers (barely) the Paypal fee we are charged on each transaction).

Whotune is far more than just a sales platform & any artist who actually took the time to visit it would know that. We have more features than any other site out there & we have a ton more coming.

We are still the new kid on the block so we dont have the weight of numbers that Myspace has but we have a much more focused approach to giving Unsigned artist all the tools they need to promote their music & also connect with each other & fans.

The narrow minded attitude of musicians like Ido is to be expected- there have been maybe some scams in the past but if anyone thinks that charging $25 to set up a sales account on a music site that has so far cost over 400k is 'Fastlane to wealth' they are an idiot & clearly ignorant of the commercial realities of creating a website like whotune.

Most sites charge a bigger upfront fee to sell music & many charge a PER SONG fee to submit! So our fee is the best out there. As we grow- the opportunities for artists will grow. But the Negative doom sayers are welcome to stick to bad mouthing everyone on forums- after all-thats much easier to do than actually CREATING something for other musicians to use FREE of charge!

No one works for free, dummy. Stop acting like you're on this global quest to help musicians. You're trying to cash in just like everyone else, right? I mean, you're running a business, right? No one starts a business venture to lose money. You know that none of the shmoes that sign up for your "service" are gonna sell anything so you collect the fees and don't have to do much else. Short-sighted and cynical musicians are the way they are for a reason. No one trusts anything and rightfully so.

No one works for free, dummy. Stop acting like you're on this global quest to help musicians. You're trying to cash in just like everyone else, right? I mean, you're running a business, right? No one starts a business venture to lose money. You know that none of the shmoes that sign up for your "service" are gonna sell anything so you collect the fees and don't have to do much else. Short-sighted and cynical musicians are the way they are for a reason. No one trusts anything and rightfully so.

agreed 100%. I like how he signed up to plug and defend his web baby...maybe he'd like to share something about home recording....

Mr. WhoTune, you're selling the wrong commodity. Musicians don't need another place to host and sell their music. What would be the point of it if you're not pulling in the numbers that myspace or any other established websites are getting?

Most places that charge people to put their songs up for sell are also getting the music put on every major music store on the net, itunes, amazon, myspace, napster, rhapsody etc. Every website will host and allow people to download the music for free. Most don't charge you to sell music unless they are offering some other greater service like having your music digitally distributed.

The website looks real nice and all, but what musicians really need is a way to market their music to their own audience. They need a way to reach the people who would like their music and then buy their music. If you could sell that service you would be rich real soon.

Unfortunately all I keep hearing everywhere is the same old stale sounding crap. Sure it could be a lot of styles, but nothing new or original sounding. No artistic value what so ever. Turn on the radio, CRAP. Search for "new music", CRAP. Top 10 you say? CRAP.

Mr. WhoTune, you're selling the wrong commodity. Musicians don't need another place to host and sell their music. What would be the point of it if you're not pulling in the numbers that myspace or any other established websites are getting?

Most places that charge people to put their songs up for sell are also getting the music put on every major music store on the net, itunes, amazon, myspace, napster, rhapsody etc. Every website will host and allow people to download the music for free. Most don't charge you to sell music unless they are offering some other greater service like having your music digitally distributed.

The website looks real nice and all, but what musicians really need is a way to market their music to their own audience. They need a way to reach the people who would like their music and then buy their music. If you could sell that service you would be rich real soon.

Unfortunately all I keep hearing everywhere is the same old stale sounding crap. Sure it could be a lot of styles, but nothing new or original sounding. No artistic value what so ever. Turn on the radio, CRAP. Search for "new music", CRAP. Top 10 you say? CRAP.

And why is literally everything crap? Because home-recording is too easy and online networking makes it too easy for any jackass to get his shit heard on a global scale. Just look at myspace, soundclick, reverbnation, etc for example. 99% of the garbage on those sites is bad songs recorded poorly, yet they're "out there". Anyone can hear them. It just inspires more crappy bands to make more bad recordings of their crappy songs and it waters down the music pool a little more.

That is one avenue of exploration. but even the most high end stuff coming out on the radio may sound damn good, but it's still crap. It's all the same stuff over and over again. It's like being force fed shit. You listen to the same crap over and over and over and over like a non-stop audio assault and before you know it anything sounds good...

On the other hand there are some real visionary people in the home recording arena. How many people back in the day recorded whole albums on a 4 track tape cassette recorder? Have you heard some of GG Allen's albums? Complete shit as far as I'm concerned, but people worship it like god. His artistic vision outweighed the quality of his recording... LOL

HAHAHA. I see that 500k hasn't bought you any business management skills. These "short sighted musicians" rule the forums and can destroy/make your business. I would bite your tongue and choose your words wisely before your investment gets flushed down the toilet..

Need proof? Check out Great River. Their advertisements are almost non existent yet they get such good rep on here, gearslutz, ect... that the market for them has increased tremendously.
Now let me give you an example of a company KILLED by the forums, foambymail. At first many people were duped into thinking this was "Auralex equivalent" acoustic foam. Most of the buyers of this foambymail were short sighted musicians not willing to pay the premium price for Auralex. Foambymail has been severely hurt by people downtalking them on the forums. Now I didn't look at your site because it sounds like there are 100 other ones that do the same thing, and I am not trying to crash down upon your livelihood, but you should really learn some respect before you come into OUR domain and offend one of us...

I could of made you a way better website for around 50 dollars, but you had to go to the professionals to do it right, right? Now that I know you got some cash like that I'm charging you 40k a year just to change site themes :P

Most of the home recording community pretty much just record for fun and know they wont be rock stars or anything so why would we just give away $25 to some web head that has yet another music website...One would have to be dead in the brain to pay the $25 Fee.

Wow, only $25. Can I post my credit card number here, or should I start a new thread!

What a lucky day, first I bought that extended warranty and now this!

I'm a winnner!:laughings:

These "short sighted musicians" rule the forums and can destroy/make your business........and I am not trying to crash down upon your livelihood, but you should really learn some respect before you come into OUR domain and offend one of us...
Perhaps, perhaps not. But aren't we really just a small corner of the home recording world as opposed to the centre of it ?
I thought it was kinda spunky of old Hootoo to register, fly in, answer a jibe and fight his corner. Whether he'll ever be back, who(tune:p) can say ?

Most of the home recording community pretty much just record for fun and know they wont be rock stars or anything so why would we just give away $25 to some web head that has yet another music website...One would have to be dead in the brain to pay the $25 Fee.
So of course to those of us that just record for fun and aren't interested in sales and selling, the OP won't apply and is just an informative thread. But I bet you someone, somewhere will pay that $25. And Hootoo knows it.
That's capitalism ! ;)

I do understand

And why is literally everything crap? Because home-recording is too easy and online networking makes it too easy for any jackass to get his shit heard on a global scale. Just look at myspace, soundclick, reverbnation, etc for example. 99% of the garbage on those sites is bad songs recorded poorly, yet they're "out there". Anyone can hear them. It just inspires more crappy bands to make more bad recordings of their crappy songs and it waters down the music pool a little more.

Hi everyone im natasha the singer from mega filth our band is on reverbnation and just joined whotune site and we dont try to sell any of our music we play just for fun and the joy. We are ranked number one in rock but the funny thing is when i do a search of our band it cant be found dont know why.

But with most of you saying there the only ones getting rich your right they are but its there site right they built it and market it and its who ever decides to join band members whoever its there stupidity right? No one forces them to be there.

The point is people do hear it. Now after our band being 3 months old have 700 fans and 500 other band members who have heard us and im happy about that personally i havent paid them a damn dime. I just feel good about myself for at least being able to let someone hear what i have to offer.

Now after our band being 3 months old have 700 fans and 500 other band members who have heard us and im happy about that personally i havent paid them a damn dime. I just feel good about myself for at least being able to let someone hear what i have to offer.

That's great and all, but they are not your "fans". I can drive around a Wal-Mart parking lot blasting my music out the windows and a lot of people will hear it. That doesn't make them fans.

Back