Anybody use these?

pinhedgtr

Processing
So I have a very small budget and I'm lookin at these Behringer B-5 Condenser Microphones for like $90 each. I want to use them for drum overheads to mainly pick up cymbals. I'm sure I'll probably get flamed for this, but does anyone use these? Are they any good or total crap? Thanks in advance.

B

pinhedgtr said:
So I have a very small budget and I'm lookin at these Behringer B-5 Condenser Microphones for like $90 each. I want to use them for drum overheads to mainly pick up cymbals. I'm sure I'll probably get flamed for this, but does anyone use these? Are they any good or total crap? Thanks in advance.

Best Froogle price is only $70. Beyond that, I have no opinion on it. Never tried it. Ever consider the MSH-1C? $44 for a matched pair, and if you don't like it, you can neg rep the designer. :D

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore.html

mshilarious said:
1Os for drum overheads, 1Cs for drums ;)

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use omnis for overheads. Obviously, a coincident X/Y configuration won't work very well. I've never been much on the phasing problems with spaced pairs. Jecklin disc, maybe?

dgatwood said:
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use omnis for overheads. Obviously, a coincident X/Y configuration won't work very well. I've never been much on the phasing problems with spaced pairs. Jecklin disc, maybe?

Try the recorderman method. It's not a super-wide spaced pair, but captures the toms beautifully, imo.

dgatwood said:

Well, that can be an issue. I had one return because they guy felt they picked up too much bass used as overheads :confused: I thought that was the idea, but I am not the most experienced drum recording guy. Truth is I usually would throw up a pair of cardioids in XY, however the 1Cs are just not right for the task. I am still reassembling my drumkit after moving (and selling off bits beforehand), so I have personally never used the 1Os as overheads . . .

dgatwood said:

And why wouldn't an X/Y configuration work well? I've used that technique in several situations, usually with good results. Remember, "omni" mikes are truly omni only on the low frequency components. Inevitably, they become more directional as frequency rises. Now, the smaller capsule ones tend to do this less at a given frequency than large capsule mikes, just by the simple relationship of capsule size to wavelength, but there is directionality at the high end.

You'll end up with huge, accurate, essentially mono low end and some subtle X/Y directional info on the high end, but with less off-axis coloration than with a typical cardioid pair. Try it! It's a technique used regularly by uninformed newbies like Bruce Swedien, though in his case it's likely a vertically stacked pair of M-49s in omni mode.

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
And why wouldn't an X/Y configuration work well? I've used that technique in several situations, usually with good results. Remember, "omni" mikes are truly omni only on the low frequency components. Inevitably, they become more directional as frequency rises. Now, the smaller capsule ones tend to do this less at a given frequency than large capsule mikes, just by the simple relationship of capsule size to wavelength, but there is directionality at the high end.

Makes sense from a physics perspective. I'd never really thought about that.

dgatwood said:
Makes sense from a physics perspective. I'd never really thought about that.

With really little omni capsules, the directionality doesn't kick in until over 10kHz. So I can't heartily recommend XY. ORTF at least, put a little phase difference in the equation.

I suppose I could set up a little demo, but it's late and I'm working on my bass tapping :D

(sorry to continue the derail of the thread)ive been using the 1O's as overheads with one directly over the snare at about 4 sticks length and one over by the ride pointed at the snare about 4 sticks length....

i'll be honest and say it probably isn't the best sounding setup in the world...but it sounds damn good....

and i've said it a few times...i like them for overheads better than my mk012's

maybe it's just the pair i have...but they kind of give me this dirty nasty rock drum sound that i'm loving

On my setup I have all Drums Close miced with Dynamic Cardiods and one Omni Condenser (Simular to the MSH-1O but built by me) over the Right side of the Kit about 2 feet above the Cymbols and one omni on the other side between the Ride and Left Crash about 2 feet above the Cymbols and I get a very respectable drum sound considering my Crappy Mics and my Crappy CB Drum set going into my crappy mixer.....

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, I currently close-mic all the drums with cardiod dynamic mics....embarrased to say they are some AKG vocal mics :o But I was looking at those Behringers to fill in the cymbals a little. I've also hear the ECM 8000 is a pretty good OH mic...anybody try these out? Then again those MSH mics are pretty cost effective too. :confused:

Back