anybody record like this?

barger

I just want to see if anybody has the same setup. O.K.....
dm5 kit running midi(just kick,snare and toms) into a m-audiophile 2496. all monitoring with bfd.
two OH v-67 marshall mics picking up ride, crashes, and hi-hats in a x-y config.
OH in the stereo left and right channals in a delta-44.
tracking everything in sonar 2.2(I have sonar 3.0,4.0,5.0),but I just like 2.2 the best. (less crap in the program to go wrong). cymb- 14 inch sabian hi-hats, 2002 20inch ride ,16 inch sabian crash ,18 inch sabian crash.
This is the most stable and consistant setup I have ever run. Is there anbody out there doing the same thing?

I've heard it done, don't do it myself but the results can be great. I've seen it done live to good effect as well. Do you have any clips of this setup?

I use a Roland TD10 - MIDI into Sonar 6. I normally don't trigger samples (I've spent a lot of time trying to tweak the TD10 sounds) - so I normally send MIDI out from Sonar to trigger the TD10 sounds. I have BFD and have sometimes triggered sounds from BFD - but not too often (it just adds one more layer of technology to hassel with).

I often simply use the cymbal sounds from the TD10 - while sampled cymbals will never sound as good as mic'ing real cymbals - staying completely in the MIDI domain is often much faster and easier. However, if it is a more critical project, I will then use acoustic cymbals (I have several very nice Sabian HH and Zildjian K's). If I mic acoustic cymbals - I normally use either a pair of V67 or a pair of MC-012. which I run through a Presonus MP20, into my Delta 1010 A/D converters.

I've gotten some very decent drum recordings using a combination of electronic drums and acoustic cymbals.

The kick doesn't really sound like a kick in that clip. Everything else sounds pretty good though to me. I'm not a serious drummer but I feel that the kick is really lacking power.

If that's the best you're getting from your complicated fancy MIDI setup, then you need to rethink what you're doing.

Half-assed acoustic drums can sound way better than that. :o

Back