Anybody know about these 2 mics?

mrbigputts

Im getting ready to buy a low end condensor mic for my studio (which is by no means a PRO quality set up). Mostly it will be used for vocals but possibly for a kick drum as well. These are the 2 mics im considering:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...01532470/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/273156/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...1101532470/search/g=rec/detail/base_id/100267

Im not sure which one will be a better mic for me but they are both in my price range. Any suggestions or info you may have on these would be very helpful.
Thanks

Do a search for both of these on this forum first. There's a lot of info here on them. Also, consider the Studio Projects B1 ($79). It's gotten a lot of good reviews for this price range.

DD

Yup,I would check out the Studio Projects line.I've heard some very good things about the B1 and the B3.I have the TB1 and I couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks guys....Think im gonna start out with the MXL990. The price is right, and it comes with a shockmount and a hard shell case. Since this is my first real condenser mic I dont think I'll be disappointed. Thanks again.

For the same money ($79.99), you can get a Studio Projects B1. I've been using a pair of them for three weeks now, and would choose the B1 over the two you're looking at...

Think on this one...

Since my thread was referreced (first time for everything:D) I thought I'd jump in.

I personaly do not have a b1 so I can't tell you for sure but, It has got nothing but glowing reveiws as far as I have seen. If you notice my review of the 990 wasn't exactly Glooooowing. I have recieved private messages from others with the same concernes about the boxy sounding nature of it. I personally don't have a problem adjusting for that trait. I also have a rack full of eq's and several good software eq's

But the point is idealy (sp?) you want to be able to record a track with no eq and have it be usable. Maybe you can't get that in that price range??? I don't know.

If can go to a store and listen with a flat EQ and see wich is better in it's raw form.

Good Luck

F.S.

PS I don't think you'll be disapointed either, which ever you chose.

DigitalDon said:
Do a search for both of these on this forum first. There's a lot of info here on them. Also, consider the Studio Projects B1 ($79). It's gotten a lot of good reviews for this price range.

DD

Yes, this is probably the way to go.

I'd say the B1, too, if for no other reason than the 990 is not a LDC, but the B1 is. Plus, I heard some vocal samples of the 990, and I was not overly impressed.

this is where i jump in with my best AOL impression: ME TOO! :D

seriously, i love my B1 on just about anything i put it in front of......snare, hihat, guitar amps (especially), some acoustic guitars, etc.....

i have not found the B1 to be an especially good vocal mic on my voice. simply, it's the wrong mic for that job (and making my vocals sound "good" is a TALL order). i've got a friend, though, who sounds pretty damn good through the B1. you'll find it hit or miss as a vocal mic, depending on your voice.

for $80, it's a great "jack of all trades" kind of mic. doubly so if you're just getting started down this path. it's the LDC version of an SM57, IMO.

Kick drum, however, will sound like ASS with the B1. i'd steer you towards a nice dynamic (RE20, SM7, beyer M88) which can be used for vocals AND lots of other things (including kick)........or i'd steer you towards a dedicated kick mic (d112, beta52, senn 602, etc). i have no doubt that if you were to use the B1 on kick that you would be disappointed.

wade

mrbigputts said:
Thanks guys....Think im gonna start out with the MXL990. The price is right, and it comes with a shockmount and a hard shell case. Since this is my first real condenser mic I dont think I'll be disappointed. Thanks again.

Yeah, it's only $60 now. That's almost worth it for the case and shockmount, which will fit that TLM103 you'll be getting pretty soon. :)

mrface2112 said:
it's the LDC version of an SM57, IMO.
This statement makes sense to me. It's good on all the things that the 57 is good on: toms, amp, snare. However, on top of that it's also pretty decent on hand percussion and acoustic guitar, and passable on vocals.

<<This statement makes sense to me>>

:D

yeah, i use my B1 everywhere i'd use a sm57 (or similar senn 835, etc). i pretty much view it as a different variation on the same theme. i wish i had another one.

the one thing i wish the B1 had, though, was a pad. i need to pick up some of those shure inline pads, b/c i'd like to be able to get it just a little bit closer to amps on 11.

wade

Back