Anybody know about pitch correction machines?

hilarypaprocki

Okay, I've looked at previous streams on this topic and I know that I'll get a lot of people telling me to just drop dead, but if I can pull this off I want to pull it off.

The ideal thing for us would be some kind of non-computer rack gadget that would take voice in one input, and midi or some damn thing into another input, and draw the pitch of the vocal toward the pitch of the control input whatever it is.

I think that tc has something like that but you can probably buy a whole human being for what they cost. Which might make sense if he can sing. There's computer stuff but we'll only go out and get a computer if there's just no other way...they really are more effort-consuming than people admit.

All ideas, tips, and insults will be gratefully accepted. Thank you.

H

The hardware version of things Autotune are complete crap -- you really need the s/w version for it to be effective.

Nothing beats talent though - no amount of Autotune will make a bad-singer sound good.

To be honest this is the first time i've seen that piece of TC gear. I've familiar with auto tune...... and well it has certain applications when used in moderation, but i think it is generally evil and bit of a sham.

I do own a TC "G Major" guitar processor and it has great sound and very good pitch shifting. FYI

If you are not willing to put in the effort to learn how to sing, or you are tone def, but you still want to impress the chicks, you should "pull it off" as you say. However, for me it would be far more rewarding to spend that money and time on making myself a better musician.

While you are at it, buy something to play your instrument for you as well. :p

Yeah, people shouldn't wear glasses or ride wheelchairs or get food stamps either.

I understand the contempt that talented people might have for untalented ones, but sometimes some hard-working but pretty uncoordinated people have good ideas and if I can record someone who needs just a little help, and give him just a little help, am I doing a bad thing?

H

hilarypaprocki said:
Yeah, people shouldn't wear glasses or ride wheelchairs or get food stamps either.

I understand the contempt that talented people might have for untalented ones, but sometimes some hard-working but pretty uncoordinated people have good ideas and if I can record someone who needs just a little help, and give him just a little help, am I doing a bad thing?

H

You act like bad singing is a handicap. Its not quite the same thing, i'd be more like putting springs in your shoes to dunk tha ball instead of jumping rope everyday.

So back to BB's reply, is a software ver of Autotune not going to work for you?

The problem with the hardware version of auto-tune is that if you control it from a keyboard, you will end up sounding like that Cher tune. The software version is the only thing that will give you the control you need to make the performance sound real.

Most of the time, when people are singing off-key, they aren't hitting the note properly in the first place. Putting them in key will just make a less dissonant bad performance.

i think the best method, though it takes some time, is for the singer to find his or her little niche. most people get the wrong idea in their head about singing, mostly trying to sound like someone else. they need to find what works for them. think about all of the not-so-great vocalists that made their voices work for their music.

I bought the TC Helicon Voice Live and am very pleased with it. No, it's not a miracle machine such that garbage in, great out, but the subtle pitch correction is quite good. It's a great tool to teach you how to sing better, something I've noticed with those who practice often with it, especially when using the harmony feature. In order to get a good sounding harmony out of it the input vocal must be on right on key or forget it. It's not cheap ($799) but it is by far one of the best purchases I've made.

Back