Anybody heard of the ZIDJIAN MIC PACK?

free_d20

i recently saw a pack of 4 mics used to close mic cymbals. they are kinda wierd cause they are clipped UNDER the cymbals on the stands. this pack also includes a sort of mixer to mix the mics into one stereo output. its around $120, so im wondering whats the catch... if it werent zidjian i would think its crap.

free_d20 said:
i recently saw a pack of 4 mics used to close mic cymbals. they are kinda wierd cause they are clipped UNDER the cymbals on the stands. this pack also includes a sort of mixer to mix the mics into one stereo output. its around $120, so im wondering whats the catch... if it werent zidjian i would think its crap.

If I remember correctly, the zildjian microphone 'system' was produced about 10-15 years ago and never caught on. They were discontinued probably around the early 90's. I have no idea how good they sound....

I have my doubts about a cymbal company producing microphones. Can you test them out before you buy them?

Yeah I remember seeing various ads or pics in Modern Drummer where some guys had those clipped on.

Cymbals start to get really weird when mic'd from the bottom...some have down right eerie or underwater like tones. Good for an effect but thats about it.

Re: Re: Anybody heard of the ZIDJIAN MIC PACK?

pratt said:
If I remember correctly, the zildjian microphone 'system' was produced about 10-15 years ago and never caught on. They were discontinued probably around the early 90's. I have no idea how good they sound....

I have my doubts about a cymbal company producing microphones. Can you test them out before you buy them?

..hey who said anything about buying, $120 aint much, but crap worth $120 is still crap. i had no idea they had been discontinued for SOOOO long! it must be for some reason... i better save for some "trusty" NADY equipment... yeah right.

I recall seeing those (A little black box with a clip and a 1/4 jack) like late 80's early 90's. (It's all a blur now.)
It was around the same time internal drum micing systems and racks were in "Fashion" I guess you could say

I THINK it was a live micing system application, but I'm not sure...
Seems like it would pick up all kind of vibrations.

:)

I'm pretty sure Neil Peart used these - I think you can see them in the A Show of Hands video. Though, I was thinking he used them to trigger samples, but maybe not.

Hey man u want some good mics. Get the Audix F 15's. They r overhead mics which r really of the chain. They r especially for cymbals and high hats. my friend has 3 and it pics up his kit really nice. Just save up and buy. i use a D1 on my snare and high hat, i have 2 D2's one for my left kickdrum's 2 toms and the other for my right kickdrum's 2 toms. then i have 1 D4 for both of my floor toms and 2 D6's for my each kick drums. Audix has come a long way. I give them the 2 huge thumbs up. look into them

PEACE

I remember seeing them in the veneman's music emporium catalog, and think there was a neil peart endorsement/ mention somehow.

I remember thinking the same thing...they were featured in the catalog for awhile and *poof* they just disappeared...would be an intersting thing to check for on ebay.

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with any fancy under-mounted cymbal micing mumbo jumbo.

Just get yourself a few of those "pancake" style shure condensers and mount 'em about 3'-4' above your left and right cymbal axis...

Stay away from them ol' Zildjian Clip-On mics...

They were indeed a system used by a few Drummers, but mainly for the "effect" sounds they emitted.

For practical recording purposes, they are a waste of money.
Anytime you mic the cymbals from underneath, you get harsh overtones as well as horrible "phasing" sounds.

I agree that Audix makes a good drum mic kit.

But take your time...
Individually pick the mic that is best for your ears for each drum application.

Audix makes a great kick drum mic that costs less
than the AKG D-112.

And I love my new Oktava MC-12's for overheads. (Finally figured out how to use them)

Will always love the ol' Shure SM-57's for my Snare and Toms.

Happy hunting!

VI

I love the K & K mic's, they work great. I also have the Audix set of 1 d-1 (snare), 2 d-2's ( toms), and 1 d-4 (floor tom), but when I use these I use the K & K dyna b 07 on the kick. I like them about the same but think the K & K's are a little tougher so I use them for live. I've also heard good things about the Audix D-6 and hope to get one soon.

Back