Anybody have glitches/shutdowns with Cubase using Vista?

Trell Blaze

Killing generic R&B...
Athelon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.5ghz
2gb of RAM
Running Cubase SX 3
PreSonus Firebox (recent purchase...was using the stock card for mixing only before that)

I experience random glitches such as hickups, freezeups (accompanied by a buzzing sound), release of the AISO Driver (it'll release the card and I'll have to re-start Cubase to get sound back).

My old setup was an AMD Sempron 3000+ processor and about 1/4 of the RAM i have now running Windows XP and I didn't have these problems - actually I had a whole different set of problems due to the fact that my system SHOULDN'T have been able to run Cubase...:D

I've twiddled with every setting available and no change. The only thing I can think of is Vista. Does anyone run that OS with their DAW?

I can still record and mix, but having to shut down in the middle of a task (several times) is quite a creative killer.

Vista isn't ready yet. A lot of drivers haven't been developed. It uses a hell of a lot more RAM than XP. It's only just been released so it's going to be full of bugs. Basically there isn't really a good reason to use it for music over XP. I'm surprised you can do anything musicwise with it at all.

Man, what are you talking about^^^^:confused: I have a portable rig with
a Compaq V6000 laptop running Vista, Cubase SX3, Reasons and all the software I have on the studio rig, running a Presonus Firestudio for the interface. and I have no problems what so ever, I can push it as hard as the studio comp and it does not give up...... Maybe you have a bad set-up. I just get tired of hearing this statement when it is a isolated to some people not all.

It works for some, not others. Depends on your setup, and how much RAM you have.

Aside from the fact that a lot of hardware manufacturers haven't had the chance to build any Vista drivers yet due to the fact that MS rush released it without handing beta's to hardware and software manufacturers like they normally would, it is also a fact that Vista uses a lot more RAM than XP. Thereby nullifying any justification for an upgrade from XP.

Personally I would rather my RAM was spent on processing audio than running a pretty looking operating system. That is the biggest killer for me. And it applies to everyone.

Although judging by the OP's RAM, it's probably not the problem. But either way, it would run better with XP purely because of the fact that XP uses less RAM. But I know a hell of a lot more people who have been dissatisfied with Vista than satisfied.

And I don't have a bad setup at all. I still have XP :p

Well, I was not trying to get on your back :p I just wanted to make my statement, you can go into vista and turn of all the things you dont need, my laptop runs an AMD Turon 64x2 with ONLY 1 gig of RAM and I cant get it to drop out even with 48 tracks and loads of plug-ins, Im running the XP drivers with no problem so you can still think what you want to but I disagree. ;)

Although judging by the OP's RAM, it's probably not the problem.

Actually, the RAM randomly spikes out for no appearent reason. No idea why but it does...

I always suspected it was at least partially what you said - Vista has so much unecessary shit (at least for a DAW) running that it bogs down.

Do you think the hard drive read speed (I forget the technical term for this) has anything to do with it? Mine is stock so I assume it's not a hotrod when it comes to that...

Well, I was not trying to get on your back :p I just wanted to make my statement, you can go into vista and turn of all the things you dont need, my laptop runs an AMD Turon 64x2 with ONLY 1 gig of RAM and I cant get it to drop out even with 48 tracks and loads of plug-ins, Im running the XP drivers with no problem so you can still think what you want to but I disagree. ;)

While I am computer literate, I am in no way an expert. I've tried this before and managed to get rid of a few uncecessary processes but the truth is I have no clue about some of those things. How do I avoid turning off something I need but don't know it?

I actually did that once and the computer restarted itself as a reward...:D

If it's anything like XP, you can right click on my computer, select properties, goto the advanced tab. Click setting in the perfomance tab and choose 'adjust for best performance'. This will get rid of all the spangly stuff and it will look a bit more like Win2K. but I'm not sure if it's the same in Vista.

If your music PC isn't connected to the internet, turn off your antivirus, firewalls, spyware blockers etc.

If it's anything like XP, you can right click on my computer, select properties, goto the advanced tab. Click setting in the perfomance tab and choose 'adjust for best performance'. This will get rid of all the spangly stuff and it will look a bit more like Win2K. but I'm not sure if it's the same in Vista.

If your music PC isn't connected to the internet, turn off your antivirus, firewalls, spyware blockers etc.

Did that stuff when I powered up the comp the first time. It actually looked closer to Win 3.1...lol

Since I don't NEED Vista, I'll just dump my hard drive and try XP, which I never wanted to give up in the first place. This comp was one I needed in a pinch and was only avialibe with Vista.

I'm not saying Vista is the problem - I could just have a bad unit - but I'm way more comfortable with XP. Besides, Wavelab DEFINATELY doesn't work on Vista (not isolated cases....it simply doesn't work) and that's a big program in my setup...

As long as you have USB 2.0 or firewire you should be ok but internal is faster and cheaper. Maybe someone that uses an external drive will chime in. Make sure you get a quite one, 7200 rpm with a 3 year warranty. How about the drive from your old set up?

As long as you have USB 2.0 or firewire you should be ok but internal is faster and cheaper. Maybe someone that uses an external drive will chime in. Make sure you get a quite one, 7200 rpm with a 3 year warranty. How about the drive from your old set up?

Way to break my heart again. That drive is GONE...:( I was trying to forget that. :D

Besides it was stock internal as well and was no better than the current one.

I had come to the conclusion a while back that the rpm made a difference but I was later convinced otherwise.

My knowledge of computers is sort of a common sense thing - I've learned a lot on my own but there are some deep tecnical aspects I simply don't have time to figure out. Too busy making music...:D

I'll price some HD's but I'm still going back to XP for more reasons than the OP...

Back