Anybody got one of these??

I've seen that piece before - Nobody except the (current) owner has one. It's a one-of-a-kind piece. Sort of a "Dangerous 2-bus" on steroids...

At $30,000+ it seems a little steep... I'm sure it's absolutely wonderful, but unless you've got a LOT of expendable cash...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

I'll just wait for the Behringer version.

It'll have more tubes and be warmer................:D

Well, $30.000 is a lot of money, but if he really used original parts, it means he must have gotten pieces out of actual original consoles that were being slaughtered. And that means they are quite expensive. So the price is expected.

So, what do you really get for this?
Well, basically, what you get is five different output buffers, in stereo. These probably do sound slightly different. Especially the tube ones could be cool.

But again this machine suffers from the "summing myth". As you see, it has 64 inputs, and by looking at the electronics, you'll see that there are no parts that are multiplied by 64 on each of the 5 circuit boards. Supersize that picture in the middle if you don't beleive me. :) It's dark, but clear enough.

The summing is probably done by resistor networks+switches to the right in the picture, and is done the same no matter what "console" you are selecting.

All in all, this is rather like having five different preamps to choose from. But maybe a bit overpriced. Also, the effect you get from this box will be gotten by just using in two of the channels, and using it as an insert of the mix bus. This saves you from buying 64 new D/A's. ;)

Todays day and age $31.500 for that ? you would have to be nuts or filthy rich with nothing better to do with your money.
I would bet the guy would probably take a much lower price if offered.

MarkoPolo said:
Todays day and age $31.500 for that ? you would have to be nuts or filthy rich with nothing better to do with your money.
I would bet the guy would probably take a much lower price if offered.

Or own a commerical facility where it would pay for itself.

Back