anybody care to translate for me?

Afrosnatcher

· Output (RMS) 90watts - Bi-amped 70W LF + 20W HF.
· Output (Music) 180watts - Bi-amped 140W LF + 40W HF.
· 2 x 8” LF woofers + 1 x 1” HF tweeter.
· Frequency range: 80 Hz to 20kHz.

what does all this rubbish meen? lol. it is describing 2 pa speakers and im wondering if this is going to be powerful enough? cheers :o

RMS is a way of measuring power (watts). It stands for "Root mean squared" but for our purposes just think of it as "average" power. "music" is an advertising word to legally publish higher numbers. It probably means "peak" power, which is what the amp can put out instantenously. When comparing speakers/amps make sure you are comparing apples to apples. The "bi amped" part means there's a separate amp for each the tweeter and the woofer. Bass requires more power for the same precieved "loudness" so the woofer amp is usually much more powerful that the tweeter amp.
As far as powerful enough.. powerful enough for what? FWIW those speakers look to be on the quiet side.

the HF and LF acronyms stand for High frequency and Low Frequency by the way, and if you didnt know - the 1x1 stands for the size of the speaker = one inch by one inch and on and on.

Todd

Yo Afrosnatcher. Pay attention to the RMS power and ignore peak music power (what they call "music").
How much power you need depends on what you need to be heard over, and the material. For an acoustic act, one player, a total output of 150-250 watts will do 100-150 people just fine in a coffee house, where the people are listening, instead of drinking and yakking. If you are doing jazz, blues, R&B, or country, and you have to be heard over a band and the drunks, I'd want at least 400 watts RMS. If you are playing Slayer at a Rave, and the drummer is deaf, 1000+ watts would be very reasonable. It's not just the size of the crowd, it's the room, the music, and what kind of crowd. Hope that helps.

cheers richard. i guess it will mainly be for practising our harmonies and band practise so more just a fairly small living room. however we'd like to use it for maybe small gigs if there isnt one available.

Back