any wireless pro's here?

erichenryus

This isn't directly related to recording but somewhat related and wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or knows a bbs where people discuss this kind of stuff.

I have a linksys wireless-g router and PCI card. The router is on the second floor of my house and the PCI card is in my recording computer, in the basement.

When I connect to the wireless network, the signal is very strong (54 mbps) initially but quickly slows down and eventually disappears after about 3 minutes. I've tried different channels and pointing the antennas differnetly but nothing seems to help. Moving the two closer together isn't an option.

A friend of mine who's a networking guru basically said he only uses wireless for short term access or when he knows he'll at least be on the same floor and recommended that i wire the recording computer to the router but the damn spec says the signal should travel 300 feet and I don't want to give up.

Anyone?

You may be picking up too much interferance from other equipment. I have a bungalo style house that's completely wired. I have a tenant who lives in the (furnished) attic who is another PC addict like I am. He installed a wireless card in his laptop, and a wireless gateway onto the firewall/switch that is connected to my cable modem. He will occasionally roam through the house with his laptop and has never sufered a dropout so far as I know. I later purchase a wireless card for my own laptop, but I rarely have that unit on at home so all I can say is that it has always worked when I needed it.

just in case anyone got the same router as me here's the fix: don't run it in mixed mode. i just switched to g only and it's a bit more resilient with the connection.

Back