any type of "quantizing" feature?

rats

Is there any type of function with CEP 2.0 that will fix timing flubs, kind of like quantizing does with a sequencer? I have a song I'm recording in cool edit and I'm using the advanced sampler, subtractor, and maelstrom in reason as stand alone keyboards. The way I've been doing it is I'll hit record in Reason and play along with the song as it plays in CEP, then export is as an audio file, open it CEP, etc.. problem is I'm a sucky keyboard player and would like to be able to "push" these notes onto the beats were they stray. I tried the quantize feature in reason but it just makes it worse. I may just not be doing it right, but based on my experience with quantize, you usually need to have a pre-established tempo. It seems like I recall Cool Edit being able to do something...

If you actually think about what you're trying to do, a quantizing deal like this is very difficult to accomplish. Cool Edit can 'find' beats in edit view, and you can chop up your audio files and move them around if you're trying to line stuff up, but moving audio like this is a huge task. I don't think that even a protools TDM system could do this, although I know it can slice things up so the manual work is less laborious.

What I'd recommend is arranging you're song before you begin. I believe REASON has a sequencer. Lay out your tune using a piano roll or a score with every track from start to finish. Export all instruments (or submixes) as .wavs (32-bit float if possible) and load them into CEP. You're song should sound identical to as it did in Reason. Then add your live instruments/vocals and mix away!:cool:

Good Luck
Chris

This may be a long shot, but I do similar stuff with drums using the ".cel" information files...Of course, they're usually no more than 4 measures long...but I've seen weirder stuff, lol. Try right clicking on the file, selecting "loop properties," and tell CEP that your piano track is a "loop" that needs to be 120BPM (or whatever tempo it's supposed to be), then enable "find beats" and "beat splicing"... and let me know if it works, lol.

Process:
*Right click on track
*select "loop properties"
*check the "enable looping" box
*check the "repeat every" option, and don't fuck with whatever number is in that box, lmao
*select either "follow session tempo" (if the session HAS a tempo) or uncheck that box and fill in the correct BPM.

-Again, I'm one lazy mo-fo when it comes to anything but vocals and guitars, so post back if it works.

Cool. Thanks for the response guys. chris j - that sounds feasible, but not very convienient for the situation I'm in now. The songs is about done and I'm just adding the finishing touches. :( Besides, we generally use live drums, or I use an external drum machine to sequence the drums with.

chrish- that's what I'm talking about! I new there was a find beats feature somewhere around but wasn't sure how it worked. I will try that tonight when I get home. Thanks!

Back