Any tips on recording hip-hop sessions?

Moebetta

O.K.

I've been reading the info all over this site and have found averything to be extremely helpfull. I'm in the process of saving the dough to start a home studio and was wondering if any one had any tips on equipment to buy that may be more suited for hip hop. I would also like to be able to record live instruments. I've been writing/ryhming for quite a few years now and have experience recording in other peoples studios but allways depended on engineers or producers for the forging of my sounds but found I never ended up with the sounds I had in mind so I've decided to take matters into my own hands. help me out fellas....
Please.
I just paid down on two turn tables, a mixer and mike and was wondering where to go from there. I am also building my own computer and was wondering about what kinda specs to be goin for as far as memory and speed. Also need some tips on the best software applications to run.
I have two computers now so I figure I can purchase the software and practice a bit with it on the systems I have now untill i finish building the Mega Music Machine that I intend to use for actuall recording.

As you can see I need a lot of help, but rest assured I am a quick study. Oh yeah right now I have about a G to spend on whatever you guys feel I should purchase after the two turntables and the mike.

Thanks for any tips.
Peace,
Moebetta

Peace Moebetta. Your 1st priority is to establish your budget. For computer-based recording,the general concensus is to have from 64-128 ram (128 mo'betta')200-300hz.A good sound card,recording software,nearfield passive or active monitors,mic(s),maybe a multi-track mixer(for it's mic pre-amps)and patience.
But w/o knowing what your budget is,product recommendation can be difficult as prices range greatly. You also state that you would like to record live instruments.R-U referring
to "live performances" of bands or studio recording of musicians.
With just a lil mo' info from you,myself and the many others on this BBS can assist you.
Peace.

MISTERQCUE is right...

what about do a little more research to know excatly what do you want and dont waste your money?

learn about dynamic procesors, what they are for and how they work. mic placement, etc.

how are you gonna use your mixer with your computer?
as for me, I need the 4 ins and 4 outs of my delta, but maybe you will need just 2 ins and 8 outs of a gina soundcard.

for hip-hop -IMHO- try now a compressor/limiter for the vocals and nice punch of the bass and kick, and what about some presence and original sound that you are looking for, from a effect procesor that you like?

also, maybe you will need a midi sound card to work with drum machines and keyboards, and use all the softwares around that work via midi.

cheers. :D
http://homerecording.about.com/musicperform/homerecording/msub19.htm

More info on what to get when starting out.

First I would like to say thanks a million for the tips fellas. The info so far has helped tremendously in giving me an idea of how to get started. The system I'm currently building will have a somewhere between 633-800Mhz processing speed. I'm gonna start out with 128Mgs of RAM, and a 10-15Ghz Hard drive. A friend of mine recommended Sound Blaster Platinum as the sound card of choice. So I guess that about covers the hardware. As far as software is concerned, from what I've been reading it seems Cakewalk is pretty popular. I've also heard of another but can't recall the name of it right now. I'm gonna head to a music shop and check out the both of'em before I purchase one.
The live recording I was speaking of was studio recording of musicians. I happen to know a few Jazz cats that can really play and I would like to be able to work with them in the studio.
Now as far as budget is concerned I plan on spending between $1500-$2000 by the end of this year. Not including the money I'm spending on the computer. So there you have it. Any further tips will be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Mo'betta

i think you need to in depth a little more. I mean are you gonna be doing alot of sampled things for your songs, or are you going to do alot of real instruments such as how the Roots do their work. Id say go with the sampling side. You could get by with Acid, and then start desiging some beat loops with a good solid program like Rebirth or eve record your own with a synth and then make it into a loop in a wave editing program such as Sound Forge. You should pick up a few good synths, and definitely get some dynamics processors if you want that "thump" of that style music. and LOTS of plugins----personally i tend to think that hip hop is EXTREMELY production oriented, especially when you start getting into the high pro levels.

On the other hand if you are going to be doing your thing with a live band, thats a whole other thing. You need to learn about micing drums, bass, and incorperating that to make it fir your hip hop style.

Back