Any theories or facts on this; Soundgarden question

alanfc2

Can anyone give me their read on this one? Or any facts from engineer or artist interviews -

Soundgarden's "Spoonman" and "Jesus Christ Pose";
wonderful large heavy guitar sounds there.

so,
single performance made wide and large somehow ?,

or really tight human doubles?

Thanks

Apples and oranges, "Jesus Christ Pose" is from the Badmotorfinger album which was a different era for Soundgarden. That album was produced by Terry Date who is very well know for punishing guitar tones. They said that the theory of tone on that album was to layer the guitar and build a wall, it worked. Superunknown was more a stripped down album using less layers and more experimentation with different guitars and the then brand new tripple rec mesa's.

cool/thanks

I think I'm going to follow up on this guy & and whoever produced Superunknown and see if I can find any interviews :)

bileshake said:
Superunknown was more a stripped down album using less layers and more experimentation with different guitars and the then brand new tripple rec mesa's.

WTF?!

I never would have guessed it was a Mesa. I haven't relaly ever thought about it before, and I don't have my CD's available to listen to at the moment, but I never in a million years would have guessed it was a Triple Rec.

Attention everyone.....this now proves my theory that ever band using Triple Recs today SUCKS. ...before this I thought it was the amp causing everyone to sound the same...but no, SoundGarden sounded great with it.

bileshake said:
Superunknown was more a stripped down album using less layers...

Sorry, but that is a funny fucking statment to anyone who has listened to the vocals on that album even once. There is more layering of vocals (and I would bet guitars) on that album than just about any other I have ever heard. It is FAR from being "striped down."

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I still have the tape for down on the upside, and it says right in their booklet that they use mesa boogie amps.

I know this is not exactly relevant to this question....but I think the sounds on "Louder Than Love" are heavier than hell...and heck. I think they used Peaveys at the time, no?

LL

Back