any recommendation on what I need to do here?

sicvita

www.myspace.com/dogchoir

These are my first digitally mixed recording I've done, all my previous stuff was just amatuerish 4 track stuff, so this was quite a learning experience. To me it sounds like I'm having some balancing issues, the song titled "mini-ranch" for instance, I need to know what I can do to smoothen out and maybe better prenounce some of the guitars, as they kind of meld too much with other track in the mid-range. Also, the drums, I wanted a subdued sound, but I had to record the drum track with 1 mic, so I was wondering if there was a way to bring out the kick drum more, 'cause it's almost entirely lost at the moment. Any Ideas? thanks in advance

edit: all this was recorded 16bit, via shure sm57, and it's streamed MP3 so it's suffering a bit for all those reasons, but I think recommendations for bringing out kick, and guitar clarity should be diagnoseable.

I thought it was kind of a given that it was mixed with cooledit/AA since its posted here so I'll restate the question(s). And no I'm not trying to optimize for MP3; I'll be more specific, I was wanting to know if there are any envelopes/filters I could use to bring out the kick drum specifically, 'cause it's lost, and I was wondering what I could do to make the guitars sound a little clearer/sharper. I've tried quite many of the default filter/processors and such, but haven't found anything for the kickdrum problem. I guess I could re-record the guitar stuff, but the kick drum problems not as easily fixed, as I'm still stuck with a 1 mic recording set up.

sicvita said:
www.myspace.com/dogchoir

These are my first digitally mixed recording I've done, all my previous stuff was just amatuerish 4 track stuff, so this was quite a learning experience. To me it sounds like I'm having some balancing issues, the song titled "mini-ranch" for instance, I need to know what I can do to smoothen out and maybe better prenounce some of the guitars, as they kind of meld too much with other track in the mid-range. Also, the drums, I wanted a subdued sound, but I had to record the drum track with 1 mic, so I was wondering if there was a way to bring out the kick drum more, 'cause it's almost entirely lost at the moment. Any Ideas? thanks in advance

edit: all this was recorded 16bit, via shure sm57, and it's streamed MP3 so it's suffering a bit for all those reasons, but I think recommendations for bringing out kick, and guitar clarity should be diagnoseable.

I use drum loops which are pretty even but I double the drum track anyway. It's very easy to do just hit shift and right click.

From there you can try some EQ to bring out the bass drum. Chances are your not going to get sound you want unless you go back and record just the kick part. But it's worth a try. Either that or check out drums on demand or Beta Monkey drum loops.

As far as the guitars first try panning your tracks so the midrange instrements don't clash. If that doesn't work then go in and do some damage with the EQ.

yeah, thats a real problem I'm running into, the mid-range instruments melding together; even on the wav. file it gets a little cluttered during some parts. I'm gonna try some of these recommendations and check back later. thanks for the input.

Back