Any Reason pros? hell even newbs I need help!

Mindcore

I use Sonar 3, and sometimes like to use the Session Drummer for quick demos, I got a copy of Reason (adapated? ) with one of my M-Audio cards, with my limited knowledge of midi, I can't see what the worth of this software is, none less, I'm going off track.

I lay out some drum tracks in Session Drummer, and save it as a midi, I really like some of the drum samples in reason with the Redrum. I figured I could just take my session drummer midi and open it in Reason, and let Redrum play it. Not even close. Under "open" there is no option to open a midi, nor is there an import.

So I got creative, and loaded it into my keyboard, spent an hour figuring out how to get this into Reason, now that that works, certain instruments don't fire, they are miss aligned with the Reason triggers.

Is there an easy, or even a hard way to achieve what I'm doing? Or for a relatively small fee is there another program that can achieve what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

I don't use Sonar, but I am familliar with Reason and Cubase.

It sounds to me like the way forward is to let sonar play the midi, but let Reason ie Redrum be your sound generator. You should be able to trigger the drums from Sonar.

The way to do this is via Rewire. There should be an option for this in Sonar, too. Consult your manual.

1. Select rewire in Sonar and open up about 10 mono channels on the rewire panel that should appear when you select rewire.

2. open Reason and flip the rach by pressing the TAB key
3. Create a Redrum Unit while holding down the SHIFT key. Load a patch.
4. Now click and drag from the redrums first left output to input 3 on the hardware interface.
5. Repeat this right the way along for as many channels as you need.
6. Go back to Sonar and create your midi track ie your beat.
7. Open up your main mixer and you should see your individual hits playing back on separate channels

Oh yes, you also need to create a midi track in the main editor and assign the output to the redrum.

This is how it works with Cubase. Hopefully Sonar is similar

Good Luck

Yikes! I said simple man :)

I did breifly try something with rewire, Once it said the midi port was used, I gave up. I'll give it another try and see if that doesn't do the trick.

With all that Reason seems to do, am I really missing the gist thinking I could just load a midi into it?

Appreciate the help Puffin.

Travis, perhaps transposing the wrong trigger notes? that may work as well.

Thanks guys

I think you can load midi info into reason in so much as you can import the notes or triggers, but I don't really get why you would want to. If you rewire it, you will be able to play the notes from Sonar and have reason play it back.

Lots of folks use reason just for the synths and things, rather than for a sequencer.

Good luck

Back