Any point in using DAW/PC combo?

Kore

I'm looking into some recording equipment, and I was hthinking, if I get an 8-track DAW, but want more tracks, what cna I do other than mixing down and importing the mix to a single track? What about dumping all files to a PC and using some basic software for mixing, etc? Is there a better way to maximize the usage of some sort of SIAB deal, AND, is is just a waste to try to use all-in-ones with PC's?

IMO the DAW/PC combo is perfect. Use the DAW for recording tracks, then use the PC for editing. I use a PC for both right now, but have been looking at DAW's. I borrowed a Boss unit and recorded a few tracks, then transfered them to the PC for Editing, and they came out pretty nice. The recordings themselves sounded good, which is half the battle, The PC makes editing easier. I use Sound Forge, and CD Architect. Plus, the DAW is portable, which gives you remote capabilities.I think it's the best way to go. Depends on how much money you have to invest. If you just need more inputs, save your bucks and get a DAW with more inputs, Yamaha has a 16 track with CD burner for 900$. Good luck

M Havlen said:
Plus, the DAW is portable, which gives you remote capabilities.
Or you can do what I do :D . Mount a Motu 828mkii and a PreSonus Digimax LT preamp unit in a portable rack case and record onto a notebook computer. Nice and portable!

I believe the SIAB/DAW combination offers the best of both worlds. I recently got an AKAI DPS24 (awesome SIAB, BTW) and have paired it up with my DAW running SONAR. There isn't much you can't do with this combination. You can freely move tracks back and forth and you can even dump tracks into your PC for processing and back into the DPS IN REAL TIME!

The DPS24 gives me mic pres and plenty of inputs and hardware for mixing while the PC gives me MIDI and plenty of processing and soft-synths.

I know the prevailing sentiment is to "stay within the box", but I think both approaches have their advantages. If budget allows, why not employ both?

Ted

tedluk said:
I believe the SIAB/DAW combination offers the best of both worlds. I recently got an AKAI DPS24 (awesome SIAB, BTW) and have paired it up with my DAW running SONAR. There isn't much you can't do with this combination. You can freely move tracks back and forth and you can even dump tracks into your PC for processing and back into the DPS IN REAL TIME!

The DPS24 gives me mic pres and plenty of inputs and hardware for mixing while the PC gives me MIDI and plenty of processing and soft-synths.

Ted

Hey, Im looking at the DPS24. I see the advertisment says it can tempostretch and pitch bend. Have you had to use these and are they as valuable as I would think? for example, Im recording with my sons who are younger, and they can drag a little, and rush a bit. Im hoping it would be the allcure for this.

Im drawn to the motorized faders, tempostretch, and pitch correction. Every thing else is greek. We are new to recording. I hope this is Newbie friendly.

D

I have not used those features so far so I can't tell you how well they work. My guess would be that most such algorithms tend to leave some artifacts behind unless used very judiciously. I don't know that you'd be very happy with processing an entire track through it, but that would be true of any such effect.

Better to work on your son's playing than to rely on any piece of hardware or software to fix things! ;)

The DPS24 has a GREAT user forum that recently moved (about a week ago), unfortunately they were unable to transfer all the posts from the old board to the new one, so the information there is limited right now. I can tell you that it's got the best, most helpful and knowledgable people on it I've ever encountered. You might want to join and post your question there (and any other questions you can think of).

The link is HERE

Ted

I read a thread one time about whether bands "edit" or not, and there was this huge arument....... anyway... the point was that a lot of these new rock bands get famous for a sound rather than talent, and have to do a lot of editing, including timing cleanup. I have just taken for granted that everyone "just runs it through a program" like dishes through a dishwasher :D LOL.... to clean up a song.

Thanx for answering and for the link. Ill go check it out.

D

bigdaddyd said:
Hey, Im looking at the DPS24. I see the advertisment says it can tempostretch and pitch bend. Have you had to use these and are they as valuable as I would think? for example, Im recording with my sons who are younger, and they can drag a little, and rush a bit. Im hoping it would be the allcure for this.

Do you realize how long this would take? It would take DAYS. Not hours... DAYS.

It wouldn't even sound good or natural.

Cardinal rule of recording: don't record an artist before their time--including yourself. Some people just aren't good enough yet to be recorded. Instead of wasting time trying to polish turds, learn to play!

Truly, if you were close enough to slap- we would address the comparison to my children and turds...

Either way, I guess someone who is dreaming that they are an artist might tell others to hold back. Many people told me not to hook my 10 yr old up with a 7 peice pearl acoustic set, and an electronic pintech set- back to back, and have a revolving stage built in a 30x32 jam/ recording room.....
Or to set my 13 year old up with 700 watt hartke 410/410 stack, line 6 bass pod pro xt processor....
Or for me not to buy two line 6 212 combos, like the flex III and vetta II I have now. WE have been playing less than two years, but love it and are doing well. We play rush songs fluently, are all in lessons, and have begun a HOBBY of writing music as a family. Not dreaming about being an "artist" like a lot of people.

Smart people have the capability and learning capacity to learn in more than one area at a time. It will be a simple feat to contunue learning instruments and learning to record better with each day that passes. We record now on an MR8 and have already outgrown it.

When someone like me asks a question about the operation of a piece equipment that I want to buy, and I get a reply that is basically" dont buy it till you dont suck" it can get under the skin... dont worry, though. Ive read your posts and you dont even know everything about the equipment you purchased. Maybe you should get rid of it till your ready....

I may buy two and throw one away just because I can...

D

Last edited:
I know you posted this question regarding the pitch correction a while ago, but there was a thread regarding its usefulness on the DPS24 forum today. You can find it HERE

Apparently, used judiciously, it's quite good and relatively transparent. I should have trusted that it was good. So far, my experience with the DPS24 has been that it is simply better than any other SIAB on the market. Time and again, that impression is confirmed by personal experience and that of other users. It's a VERY impressive machine.

I may buy two and throw one away just because I can...

(I'm going to be doing some dumpster diving at your house!) :D

Ted

Back