Any opinions?

Krystof01

What does anyone think about these units, the ART is half the price of Midiman. I don't want colouring of sound, I just want to take my digital sound from my D16 digital recorder to analogue format without noise and without degrading the sound (or as little as possible). Are either of them worth it? You can spend so much on converters, with that in mind why do they cost so little; there both 24 bit?

-ART DIO Digital Converter
24-bit 96kHz digital converter with ART tube processing.

-Midiman Flying Cow 24-Bit D/A and A/D Converter.

Thanks,
Krystof.

Either one of the two you mention will work fine.

M-audio is well-known for good a/d conversion for the price, while the ART has been quite the talk of the town lately -- there are a few mods you can do on it to improve the sound drastically. It will color the sound only if you have the tube nob engaged.

So would you say that the Art is only good enough with tne mods, can you do them yourself? The Art is quite hard to find over here (UK) at the moment.

Concerning the M-Audio/midiman. There seems to be two options, the

-Midiman Flying Calf D/A
-M-audio Super DAC 2496 high performance D/A Converter

The midiman is cheaper but only offers spdif in and two unbalanced 1/4" outs, wheras the M-audio offers about 3 ins and three outs.

There's always something else to buy isn't there.
Has anyone actually got one or used one of these or of course any other opinions welcome.

Thanks.

Actually, the ARTs are supposed to sound pretty good even without the mods . . . especially for the price. The main modification is supposed to be very simple, and involves the power supply, I believe. Wish I still had that link, but there's even a Yahoo group specifically dedicated to the ART mods! Maybe you could do a search. There area a lot of fanatical followers who believe that the ART is like the greatest thing ever to happen . . . the RNC of converters . . . supposedly. I'm sceptical.

Back