Any one Porta 02 for sale?

justinchannell

I'm looking for a replacement multitrack for mine that recently bit the dust and I'm quite fond of the Porta 02. Does anyone have a used one they wouldn't mind parting with for about $50?

Find deals a'plenty on Ebay.

Oh, so you gave up on the Vesta Fire? Despite the doctor's best efforts, the patient was dead, huh?;)

Yep. The repairman's first words "Okay, how old is this thing?" certainly weren't a good sign. So much stuff is worn out on the tape drive that I'd have to buy an entirely new one, which will be near impossible.

I'm still going to use it as a mixer, however.

I got a Porta Two High Speed. Bought it about 14 years ago...

Still works but one of the drive belts is gone. It plays and fastforwards but doesn't rewind. Easy to fix, it just broke for the last time right before I finished digitizing all my old recordings.

Not sure if the "Porta Two" (as it reads on the box) is the same as the Porta 02, but I've been wondering what to do with it for the past 2 years.

If its the same box, I'd love to get it to someone who would use it. Served me so well for so many years I feel a little silly having it gather dust on the shelf.

Take care,
Chris

The Porta Two HS is quite different, and superior to the Porta02,...

in almost every way:

Inputs/channels:
Porta02= [2]
PortaTwoHS= [6]

Tape speed:
Porta02= Normal,
PortaTwoHS= Normal and High

dbx noise reduction:
Porta02= None,
PortaTwoHS= Standard

Meters:
Porta02= 4-segment LEDs [2],
PortaTwoHS= VU meters [4]

Tape-outs:
Porta02: None
PortaTwoHS: [4]

EQ:
PortaTwoHS: 2-band fixed

Separate MAIN MIXER and CUE:
Porta02: N/A
PortaTwoHS: Standard

Number of Inputs & Outputs:
Porta02: Minimal
PortaTwoHS: Many

Effects Sends/Recieves:
PortaTwoHS: [1] Send, [2] Recieves

Inserts:
PortaTwoHS: [2]

Battery Operation:
Porta02: No
PortaTwoHS: Yes

Similar to design of Vesta-Fire:
Porta02: Not even remotely similar
PortaTwoHS: Vesta-Fire design based on PortaOne/PortaTwo

Compatible with Vesta-Fire tapes:
Porta02: No, [no dbx]
PortaTwoHS: Yes, [uses dbx]

The only downside to the Porta Two [std/HS] is that it's another old 80's vintage machine, the same relative age as your Vesta-Fire, and therefore might require similar maintenance as your Vesta-Fire.

The Porta02, however, is a relatively new item, that should not need maintenance, in normal cases, for many years to come.

Last edited:
Precisely.

I'm staying away from anything that wasn't made any time recently to keep from having the same problems again.

The Porta 02 practically has the same recording capabilities of the Vesta Fire, but at standard speed, without the mixer and noise reduction.

I also found someone who offered a Fostex X-14 to me for $50, but I'm not sure whether to go for it or not.

Can't really help'ya on that, but that's not a bad price,...

and face it, you're in the 'lowest possible dollar' category of multitrack, and asking for a Porta02 for $50 is still a bit overly optimistic. Avg used price on the Porta02 is $91 and dropping.

See:

http://www.prepal.com/data/Tascam.htm

BTW, prepal might have a listing on Fostex too, if you look.

See:

http://www.prepal.com/data/Fostex.htm

-Avg price of the X-15 is $68 and holding.

Back