any merit in cassette?

MikeDMusic

So I am setting up a digital recording studio. I'm using an 828mkII and Digital Performer. I'm using a Shure KSM44, sm57's, and 58's (not a shure snob, just the way things worked out). I was previously planning on recording all digital right from tracking all the way to mixing and mastering. But i just recently acquired a nice older Technics tape recorder with dolby noise reduction with stereo input and output level controls. I have heard that if there are some situations where taking a digital mix and mastering it to a simple tape deck then converting it right back to digital and putting it on cd is a good way of getting a warm analog feel to the recording. Myth? Or would it be better to mix the entire thing and eq everything then put it on casette tape and then put it back into Digital Performer to add eq and effects to the stereo master. Then after that put it on cd. Also I'm not sure what the deal is on this tape deck I got. It's a Technics, i'm not sure what model, probably from the 70's or 80's. The actual tape deck opening thing says "Stereo Cassette Deck 625" and under that it says "HPF". The model number RS-625US. IF anybody has any information about this unit or any opinions on my situation I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
Mike

I'd play with it, and see what the results are. Might give you a sound you want, and it might not. Doesn't hurt to experiment, and see if you can do something you find good. It just might add some noise, but if done right, might add some tones that are cool.
Ed

I've heard the transfer to analog tape idea too...

I'm not sure cassette is what they had in mind though, and the results being described as "warmer" will certainly ruffle some digital-lover's feathers (much to my delight) on this site.

Give it a try and see what your ears say. DP4 and MOTU 828 mk II. I'd like to try that on my iMac. :)

ez_willis said:
What is this 'casette' thing you speak of? :)
Well back in the stone age (Before the CD player), we used to use pieces of tape. 1 person would grab the end of the tape and run by a big magnet, and rap it around a wheel (Which had just been invented), the tape had words and music printed on to it that was played by great Analog Symphonies......

The tape route is definitely a usuable technique (Usually better with high quality Reel-to-Reels), but the quality of the resulting product might not be all that great (Considering the age and depending on the condition of the tape heads). A thorough cleaning of the mechnisms would be in order first off. If you do try it, be sure to use the best quality tape you can find (At least Type II Hi-Bias).

Try it to see if you like it. From using cassette machines in the past I think it'll just end up adding wow and flutter.

Tim

response

very cool thanks everyone for your help. So it would less be used as a device to master all of my stuff...but more like something to add effect to a recording and maybe add a vintage lo-fi feel to the recording. Thanks a lot. Still does anybody know anything about that particular cassette recorder. Thanks again.

I think what they meant by putting to tape and back would entail something like a 1/2" stereo at 30 ips for a 2 track mixdown or a 16 or 24 track 2" machine for multitrack stuff. Unless you are looking for a degradation in the sound quality as an effect, I can't see an advantage to dropping it to a cassette deck and back.

As an effect on a recent mixing project, I dumped 4 stereo subgroups to an 8 track cassette machine and back into the DAW as 8 tracks. It changed the sound a fair bit - losing some extreme lows and highs, as well as working as a sort of compression. I'll use it as an effect again. I'm sure it works better for some genres than for others. Definitely not something I'd do every time.

MikeDMusic said:
very cool thanks everyone for your help. So it would less be used as a device to master all of my stuff...but more like something to add effect to a recording and maybe add a vintage lo-fi feel to the recording.

That's a little more like it.

Back