Any logic users?

Fireal402

Eyeballs! OH MY GOD EYES
Hey all,
I finally decided to add a mac system running Logic (I got Pro, with edu. discount it was only 500) to my current DAW, which is a WinXP PC running 32 channels into Nuendo. As I'm new to the whole Mac thing, anyone have any suggestions for getting things to run smoothly? I'm so used to the PC world of optimizing, changing settings and the like, so I'm not sure if anything should be done.

I don't currently have an interface for it, but I'm looking at something smaller than my PC system, maybe 2-6 ins. Any suggestions? Price isn't really an issue, as this is a studio we're talking about, and I'm not gonna fuck around with cheaper stuff. I'm looking at the Apogee Mini Me right now, but I don't know if I can justify a lack of ADAT.

Fireal402 said:
Hey all,
I finally decided to add a mac system running Logic (I got Pro, with edu. discount it was only 500)

It's worth signing up for 1 BS class at a Community College, just to get the discount. You can buy the software, and then drop the classes. LOL

Tim

ez, that's the setup I use on my PC, and DAMN it's amazing. It runs into that Soundcraft digital mixer thing, and I've not had a single complaint with sound quality or ease of use (minus getting automation to work on the board, but whatever.)

I forgot to mention the Mac is a laptop, or else I would've had the 9652 in a sec :o . You have any idea if the fireface will work? One of my studio partners had one for a while, but he sold it before I ever got to hear the pres and test it out.

Fireal402 said:
ez, that's the setup I use on my PC, and DAMN it's amazing. It runs into that Soundcraft digital mixer thing, and I've not had a single complaint with sound quality or ease of use (minus getting automation to work on the board, but whatever.)

I forgot to mention the Mac is a laptop, or else I would've had the 9652 in a sec :o . You have any idea if the fireface will work? One of my studio partners had one for a while, but he sold it before I ever got to hear the pres and test it out.

Ah! Laptop.

No help here, sorry.

I run Logic with two MOTU firewire 828 mk II.

It has many different Ins and outs including ADAT (nice for my Octopre) and I really like it !

The routing can be a bit of a handful, like working out which input is which into Logic (I had to rebuild a template in the middle of a recording session last Sat and nearly had a kitten) however it is useable with a little thought (could also be a lot better though).

As far as user tips go, make sure you have a spare clean external drive to hand incase you exceed you ability to write to the disk (like the disk is not fast enough, yes even an S-ATA internal drive) and get a good de-fragmenting program. The system is supposed to do it for you I think but occasionally forgets !

Oh yes the RME stuff is really nice as well. I had a DIGI 96/8 PAD card in my G5 prior to getting the MOTU kit. Very nice !!

Uh oh, don't give me bad news about that! With no interface, it seems to be fine, and I'd like to keep the ease of use that I've experienced so far.
I'm actaully really surprised at how different a mac is from a PC. From an outside veiw, they look almost the same, but for us, we see them as opposing monoliths, "the bringer of the future" so to speak

But more to the point, I've decided to lower my spending so I can get the last few upgrades I need. Either an M-Audio Firewire ones with ADAT, or the Tascam T-1000 or whatever it is, the rackmount one.

So I finally got a cheapo interface and figured out all the crap associated (DAMN routing is a bitch), so here's part 2: How well does it work with a PC running Nuendo?
Can I load Logic files (obviously frozen in instrument cases) in one and vice versa? Is there anything I should watch out for? So far I've just rendered a few tracks in Logic and mastered them on the PC (You can hear one, Groovin with Ra here ).

ok, i'm not sure about this whole trouble routing in logic thing. it does it really seemlessly. plug something in and inputs show up. are far as changing system settings, there's nothig to optimize, it's all just there waiting. as far as file sharing between programs...just save the files as wav files or something else compatable with both mac and pc. i've done that before and it works fine. but really...if u just dropped money into logic and a mac...why would you be switching between both? i have the same set up as you, and it's not cheap.

TSL, I'm not sure you're understanding my questions (which I've answered myself, cos I'm kinda strange that way).
Routing in Logic requires making a track, routing the track, then changing the input.
What got me was the routing. In nuendo, it's new track then change input, there was no "audio instrument" vs "audio track" vs "bus" vs "input selection" every time I wanted to make a new track. Yes, it's trite, and I've gotten the hang of it now, but from a nuendo background its a bitch. And yes, I know what everything means, but the location and menu systems to get to what I need confused the hell out of me

Conversion is also not easy. I can't just copy the wav files, because that's ignoring all the mixing and automation and effects, and I don't want to remix every song on 2 systems. I tried loading up a Nuendo song in Logic, but it didn't seem to work.

And why both systems? Mac is a laptop, for a slightly more mobile studio, and if I ever choose to, I can install Windows on it. But for now, I'm going to school for this audio shit, and Macs are the primary system. Being that I love to learn, the chance to try a new system is awesome.
Some people don't like learning, but I'm one of those people that will figure everything and anything inside and out.

Back