Any ideas how I'd set this up?

gazzab

I'm looking at getting some hardware processors to help with mixdowns and effects on some software instruments. I've never used anything other than the software devices so bare with me...

I've got an M-Audio 2496 soundcard which only really has phono I/Os & a MIDI I/O for connecting to external hardware. I'm trying to work out how I'd go about routing the instruments in Reason through the hardware processors through a mixer, and whether it's even possible, and also how I'd go about mixing down a track in Reason to include the effects from the devices.

This is the gear I'm looking at getting:-

Mixer: http://www.dv247.com/mixers/mackie-profx8-live-usb-mixer--57547
Processors: http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...ter-stereo-sound-enhancement-processor--38125
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...zer-pro-digital-multi-effects-processor--4982

The way I was thinking of working it would be to hook the phonos from the soundcard into the tape-in on the mixer, then route the FX send through the processors, assign the instruments from Reason to the mixer channels and run the processors back to the SW returns to record to the track. Have the monitors hooked up to the main out on the mixer and hook the tape out back to the phono-ins on the soundcard to record the entire mix.

This is probably all total rubbish because I honestly don't have a clue what I'm talking about or how to work it, so any ideas would be great :D

Not sure about your interface, but basically, you'd need an interface with as many I/O's as you need. In this case, at least a couple sends and twice as many (assuming stereo returns) inputs.

THAT SAID - And don't take this the wrong way --

I'm an analog freak myself. But there's gear that's "worth it" and there's gear that's not. The gear you're talking about will be pummeled relentlessly by even some of the most modest freeware. You'll get far better results staying in-the-box.

So a new soundcard then? I knew I wouldn't be keeping the 2496 for long... I've only had it for 3 months :)

I've read some good things about those devices... there was a really positive review in Sound on Sound. Surely they've gotta be better than the EQs and Compressors in Reason? I'm trying my best to steer clear of Behringer but I don't really have cash to throw around right now and wanted a decent mixer more than anything so it won't need replacing when I add more equipment.

You're talking about "routing the Reason instruments" - routing is done with Midi signals, unless you are planning on a Midi mixer, forget it!
You need to get an interface that will take the place of your soundcard.

Depending on your price point you could get the Delta 1010 for more I/O, or various flavours of RME.

The 2496 two channels isn't enough if you want to use outboard gear during the mix which is what it sounds like you want to do.

You could get something like a Sonic-core A16 you'd need a sound card with an ADAT interface though, and you'r in the $1,000 range now.

If you want individual tracks processed by external processors after you track them you need to "route" those tracks through dedicated outputs.

Depending on your price point you could get the Delta 1010 for more I/O, or various flavours of RME.

The 2496 two channels isn't enough if you want to use outboard gear during the mix which is what it sounds like you want to do.

You could get something like a Sonic-core A16 you'd need a sound card with an ADAT interface though, and you'r in the $1,000 range now.

If you want individual tracks processed by external processors after you track them you need to "route" those tracks through dedicated outputs.

Cheers for that, yeah I don't really wanna push over £200/$250 for a mixer and about £150 for a soundcard/external interface. I'd like to go balanced to my monitors to be honest (I've had nothing but hassle with unbalanced output straight from the back of my PC, so something with balaned outputs to the mixer would do the job). Other than that, I suppose Reason's actual sounds/devices can only be routed out via MIDI?

I know Reason limits me in terms of software devices (i'll be buying Record once I get my mic), but I just can't click with any other software I try. Even rewiring with something like Reaper has proven a pain in the neck so I just don't bother with it. I quite like the simplicity of the Reason sequencer. I use Logic at Uni but I refuse to pay out for a Mac.

Cheers for that, yeah I don't really wanna push over £200/$250 for a mixer and about £150 for a soundcard/external interface. I'd like to go balanced to my monitors to be honest (I've had nothing but hassle with unbalanced output straight from the back of my PC, so something with balaned outputs to the mixer would do the job). Other than that, I suppose Reason's actual sounds/devices can only be routed out via MIDI?

Not all familiar with Reason. As for price point the Delta 44 and 1010 are around $US200-250 "MSRP" so should be able to be had in the £150 range. As for mixer, in the 200 pound range? The Mackie you've selected looks like it is designed for live sound applications (DJ?) not recording. There should be other Mackies that can do the job or you can look on the used market. As for balanced to you monitors, what hassles? it may not be caused by unbalanced outs could be line noise, ground loop etc. If it is hum check your grounds.

Back