Any hidden secret to clean knobs/pots?

Middleman3

Hi, again.

Im sitting here with a mixer, of course with seemingly countless knobs, (only because now Im cleaning them) anyways, Im here with my mixer, repetitively turning these pots to clean them, and I was wondering, and hoping, if there was anything I could do to clean them easier, faster, more efficient, ect.
Or is this the only way? Thanks.

I don't know how recommended it is, but I just bought some electrical contact cleaner, pulled the plastic knobs off, sprayed a little around the nut and then turned the pot a lot.

If the cleaner penetrates you will know; The pot will immediately become really smooth.

DON'T use WD40, or anything really other than proper electrical contact cleaner.

I think he means cleaning the surfaces of the knobs. Don't be so fussy! Keep the mixer covered when not in use. I cut up an old tshirt and drape that over mine.

If you're talking scratchy pots, a good contact cleaner, like SteenaDude said. I've used CRC and another one called Craigs (?) deoxit.
But def no WD40. That just attracts more dust.

And maybe instead of a T shirt, a plastic cover will keep dust out better than cloth.
my 2c... :drunk:

Hi, again.

Im sitting here with a mixer, of course with seemingly countless knobs, (only because now Im cleaning them) anyways, Im here with my mixer, repetitively turning these pots to clean them, and I was wondering, and hoping, if there was anything I could do to clean them easier, faster, more efficient, ect.
Or is this the only way? Thanks.

A rag slightly damp with metho works a treat, assuming you're only cleaning the knobs... don't use a paper towel though, must be a rag.

Or buy a new mixer.. :laughings:

Im talking like, the thick feeling of turning a dirty pot. even tho the actual knobs could use some cleaning, as well. Thanks.

is taking the knobs off and putting them in the dishwasher, (in some sort of net or something of the sort, {id find a way}) is that such a sin. It could be so much faster and easier that way.

The dishwasher works...you just have to have a closed basket of some kind to keep the knobs from getting tossed all over the dishwasher. I would drop them into a container of some warm water and dish-washing liquid...let them sit for awhile, then get a small plastic scrub brush and yup....one, by one, give 'em a scrub.

AFA the scratchy pots...many are sealed from the top, but you can try spraying there....otherwise, it's more effective to open up the console and spray the pots from the back, or better still, use a small artist's brush with stiffer bristles...then dip the brush into the DeOxit and work it into the pot's nooks-n-crannies while also working the pot from the from with your hand.

LOTS of work with a larger mixer...send out for pizza, turn on the TV while you are working...but in the end you have a clean console...inside and out.

OH GOD this works so well. Thanks. I was gonna go to radio shack and get some electric cleaner contact cleaner there, but I went to an auto parts store cuz my dad said they sold it cheaper. I got a 11 ounce can of it for 7 bucks, CRC brand, and my knobs are flying smooth now... Works great.

I don't know about cleaning knobs, but if you want to clean pot you have to strain it somehow. You need to separate the seeds from the buds.

I don't know about cleaning knobs, but if you want to clean pot you have to strain it somehow. You need to separate the seeds from the buds.

See...that's where analog vinyl beats out digital. ;)
You can't do that with your laptop, the seeds would get stuck in the keyboard, but open up an two-sided LP cover, and it's easy to separate the seeds from the buds. :)

See...that's where analog vinyl beats out digital. ;)
You can't do that with your laptop, the seeds would get stuck in the keyboard, but open up an two-sided LP cover, and it's easy to separate the seeds from the buds. :)

I know. :D

A cousin of mine once gave me a Bob Marley record , can't remember which one. It said on the cover that "this album cover is ideal for cleaning cannabis" or something like that. The inside was bumpy to help clean out the seeds.

On some of my larger consoles (about 800 knobs) after outside shows in dust bowls I've used an electric tooth brush to clean between the pots after removing the knobs placing them in water with dish detergent over night.

Goodbye Jon. :(

...I've used an electric tooth brush to clean between the pots after removing the knobs placing them in water with dish detergent over night.

Do you prefer paste or gel...or are you onje of those funny guys that like the paste & gel stripe.....? :)

I never could resist a knob gag.
Just do what most of us do and wipe it on the curtain.

Back