Any heavy guitar settings for a Vypyr VIP 2?

NotThatBright

I bought a Peavy Vypyr VIP 2 40-watt amp because I needed an amp I could also use for bass. I was completely new to playing guitar, so I have no experience with any other amp. This thing has a shitload of settings on it, and I like many of them, but what I'm looking for is something that sounds good for heavy music. I have had no luck finding one that has real balls.

Just for an example of what I consider "heavy"... I tried to cover this Blood for Blood song and was hoping to find a tone as close to this as possible, but had no luck:

Blood for Blood - Cheap Wine - YouTube

Does anyone out there have a combination of settings that they like for heavy stuff with the Vypyr VIP 2? It doesn't have to be exactly like the tone in the song above. Please include every detail you can- like the color of the light from the "Amplifiers" knob (red, green or orange), and approximate pre-gain, low, mid, high and post-gain settings.

I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out. This has driven me up the freaking wall.

I realize and understand your wish to find a sound that mimics something you want to achieve. It is not that easy. Well, actually it is but it is neither cheap nor without a bunch of time spent getting there.

Sorry to sound like the bringer of bad news, but you will struggle to find tone near that without the 'combination' of a good tube amp, with a good guitar, and a good player, recorded with good gear, and good mic's, in a good room.

And that is just to get close to that sound. 'Good'.

Finding a great tone will take adding 'great' to all of the above I listed.

Amps like the Vypyr only attempt to model the sounds of other amps. It takes much more to achieve the sound of your posted link.

That does not mean it is not possible to get close and I would not wish for you to feel that you can't get there. Just don't expect a inexpensive amp that claims to reproduce great sounds to do it for you. It is just not possible to fake the way the sound you hear is created.

My best advice would be to invest time and money in a good tube amp with a speaker. Record that with a SM57 and see where you get from there.

I have recorded many incredible guitar players that tried to use solid state amps or amp modellers. The same thing happens every time. It sounds like a great guitar player with shit tone.

A crappy guitar player with a great amp usually sounds better to me than a great one with a shitty amp. That is relative to how crappy tho...

:)

I appreciate the info. Forgive the naivety of the question... I am usually so focused on drum sounds that I never even considered guitar tone before. At this point I'm not going to upgrade for a while and will try to maximize what I can get out of the amp I have, but now I know to lower my expectations.

Thanks again.

Back