Any great VST effects for Vocals?

DeshevldMusic

Are there any really great plugins I can slap on a vocal track to make it pop? I know the secret is a good vocal take and a good mic but I was curious if there was anything out there that could shine it up even more.

also...this is kind of a stupid question but...

I play hard rock and sometimes I just wish I could scream but never could without effing up my voice. I just want a scream everyonce in a while on a couple songs....do they have midi screams out there? or a cut and paste wav file somewhere? obviously it needs to be on key with the song....just curious.

thanks
andy:spank:

Hey Andy that's what samples are all about.YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Sample a few of those and you don't have to do it every day >

You have it right about making the vocals shine ....It has to go in good to be good , But after during mixing you can... EQ it a bit, some verb or delay added to taste, have the vocal track sitting just right in the mix and add some compression if needed. But in the end if it sounds/fells good you have done good.

:cool:

Send effects to vocals

Flanger
Split Harmonizer
Delay (I use at least one and maybe use another on the chorus)
Reverb (touch of reverb

------------

Treatment for vocal track

Compressor...multiband or whatever you have
Deesser (optional)...could just cut at 7000 K instead.
EQ...Highpass a bit...try boosting at 5500 K and 16000 K

---------------

If that doesnt do much for you Ive been trying out these EQ settings for vocals lately...seem pretty good so far...Have to read through it though.

http://www.behindthemixer.com/content/vocal-eq-settings

Try layering two well-matched takes of a vocal track.

Or grab a single take, duplicate it, and pan the duplicates equally from the center in different directions.

Layering vocal parts can beef things up a bit....though it might give your vocals more of an electronic sound than you'd like.

I've found a great use for Antares "Punch".

With my microphone I can barely get my vocals audible - so this VST is working very well for me right now =).

When I get a new microphone, I'm sure I'll still find another use for it eventually - but I really like it.

+1 for layering two matching takes. eq and a touch of reverb are good too. and I like to use some multiband compression as well

Or grab a single take, duplicate it, and pan the duplicates equally from the center in different directions.

This is essentially the same as just raising the volume. There needs to be some difference in the tracks to have any real effect. Change the eq of one, add a chorus, add a delay, shift one a few ms, etc.

BBE sonic harmonizer would give it a bit of shine, I love uing it on guitars and vocals, in moderation of course....also small boost in frequency can help bring them out ...generally when EQing vocals 1-6 khz adds presence...8 -12 khz adds brightness...but watch, in between this area is sibelence, so be careful of heavy hands here

in truth the old "you cant polish a turd" saying rings true..I know because I spend several hours polishing turds before I give up and retrack :)

This is essentially the same as just raising the volume. There needs to be some difference in the tracks to have any real effect. Change the eq of one, add a chorus, add a delay, shift one a few ms, etc.

You're right! I'm an idiot....I knew I was forgetting something.

What I've done in the past is shift one of the tracks a very small bit.

One trick I used on my last song was to detune (slightly) and pan a duplicate vocal track along with some other stuff.

Back