Any Fostex B16, 4050 and 8441 cable experts?

edspesh

I have drawings of the inter-connects, but they're incomplete. Anyone out there been through this? Thx.

For the E-16 I just made up a straight 1-1 ribbon cable to go to the 4050. I thought that there was a connection diagram for the B16 in the 4050 manual but I can't see it in the pdf that I have so maybe it was an extra piece of paper that came with the 4050. Probably the best thing to do is to look at the service manuals for both the E16 and B16 and work out what the differences are between the two models. If you don't have them already, the B16 manual from Hifi Engine is more complete than the one from Electrotanya.

Hey thanks for the response. I'm an old hand at using HiFi Engine and I found that their B16 service manual was the most informative. I have an 8090 remote that works perfectly and the pinouts are 1 to 1. Unfortunately, the 4050 is laid out differently. Pin 20 isn't used and 24VDC isn't on pin 5 as with the B16. This is an input to the 4050 and I don't want to damage anything. I have an additional interface document section that describes the 4050 pinouts in great detail. I have spares for both units so I'm good there. There are 8 to 10 pinouts that are described differently for the B16 and 4050, so it's a little frustrating. You probably know how difficult it is to crimp a 40 pin connector and find you need to change things. Oh well, as with all old analog equipment patience is the key. I'll check out the E16 service manual on HiFi Engine, but I'm pretty certain the B16 used the 8441 cable format and the E16 used the 8440 cable format. Never know though.

Tried the E16 service manual and J1 (J101 on the 8090) is in a different format (assuming it's the 8440 cable listing). It did help with a few explanations, so I thank you. If I could just dig up an 8441 cable diagram I'd be good to go. Thanks again.

As I said - the cable for the E16 is 1 to 1 so just work out the differences between the two machines. I would probably make myself a breakout board to go in the middle of the cable to change the connections rather than try to crimp the wires in a different order. An experienced wire-person should have no problem making up a suitable cable given the information in the service manuals.

As I said - the cable for the E16 is 1 to 1 so just work out the differences between the two machines. I would probably make myself a breakout board to go in the middle of the cable to change the connections rather than try to crimp the wires in a different order. An experienced wire-person should have no problem making up a suitable cable given the information in the service manuals.
Good advice. On another note, I just bought an E16 for a very good price. It's not perfect so I may be asking you a few questions if you don't mind. I have the 8090 remote and an SMPTE time code generator for the B16, so I'm really excited to get going with both setups. I could have gone the 24 track Otari route, but this us much more challenging.

Thank you. We'll see how it goes in the next week or so. Hopefully, I won't need to bother you.
My E16 works wonderfully after I swapped out the voltage regulators. Couple of quick 4050 questions though. My ribbon cable is great, so what are your E16 dip switch settings. I have a replacement, but yours is working. Feverishly going over the literature (well maybe not feverishly) and even the original manual states it's a trial and error situation.

Back