Any ebow users?

Guitar strings will de hair the bow rather quickly!
I know, I saw Page with a lot of strings or hair on his bow in the Documentaries. It did not seem to affect his playing, just looked very well used. Good point. I wonder if he used Rosin, I think it is called if I remember correctly, which you use with a Violin which I played in the 3rd grade. - Stuart

Also worth noting - whatever the manual says, an ebow is not a good substitute for high gain feedback. It's a totally different sound - it's sort of a way to take the core sound of a guitar and give it a totally different dynamic "shape" than normal playing, and it's great for background harmony and ambience, especially with some delay.

I know, I saw Page with a lot of strings or hair on his bow in the Documentaries. It did not seem to affect his playing, just looked very well used. Good point. I wonder if he used Rosin, I think it is called if I remember correctly, which you use with a Violin which I played in the 3rd grade. - Stuart

I checked the price of a Violin bow. A Cheap one is $7-14 bucks so if the horse hair falls apart buy a new one. - Stuart

I bet. And Steven Wilson got some awesome sounds out of one on a six string acoustic at the start of Porcupine Tree's "Arriving Somewhere (but not here)"

Check out "Drive Home" on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing" album - it's not SW, it's Guthrie Govan, but it's a masterful ebowing solo that then goes into more normal playing midway... awesomely awesome!

I have one and I'm going to get it out soon and give it a bit of use..! That's inspired me...

I've always wanted one but the price in Oz put me off. I have an effects unit that gives me stringish effects from guitar so I've stuck with that but every month or so I look at the prices for 2nd hand ebows hoping for a bargain excuse to get one.
I'll have to go back over the last LPC album and try to pick the Ebow tracks!

You could have borrowed mine for a few years Ray... been sitting in its box since about 2007 - but getting it out again shortly. Actually I tried it on an acoustic the other day. The original battery's still working....

Check out "Drive Home" on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing" album - it's not SW, it's Guthrie Govan, but it's a masterful ebowing solo that then goes into more normal playing midway... awesomely awesome!

I have one and I'm going to get it out soon and give it a bit of use..! That's inspired me...

Unrelated perhaps, but what an absolutely spectacular album. And man, it was even better live than it was on disc. Steve Wilson is a lucky motherfucker, to be able to put a band like that together...

Unrelated perhaps, but what an absolutely spectacular album. And man, it was even better live than it was on disc. Steve Wilson is a lucky motherfucker, to be able to put a band like that together...

He's playing here, with that band, in Sydney on Oct 3, and I have tickets. Awesome! :D And yep, stunning album....

Oh man, you're in luck, man. I went with a mixed bag of musicians - a couple guitarists, a bassist, and a few drummers. We were all, to a man, completely humbled by what we saw. One of the best live shows I've ever seen.

I like my ebow quite a bit, although I don't play with it nearly as much any more. Combine it with some delay and a wah pedal and there are some pretty cool effects that you can achieve. Not sure how applicable they are in a recording setting though.

I'll be looking for ways to incorporate the ebow now that I'm finally back to recording projects in my home studio.

I have one too. Haven't used it much, but I'm gonna start to use it more often. I really like the sounds you can get too. Anything from a flute to bowed strings.

mine came with a cassette, no CD or downloads, pre-internet/modern life version, and the cassette is good and very amusing. I'll be honest I've used it about 9 times in my entire life but want to start using it more for recording instead of reaching for my VST string synths I might start using it again

Back