Any ebow users?

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
I just got an ebow today. Looking forward to digging into it tonight. Any ebow aficionados out there? Your input is welcome...

I've never owned one of those but I've been thinking about building a sustainer pickup for one of my guitars.

I have one its years since I used it. Great for playing U2 with or without you intro and odd effects but.

Hey Bob, I bought an EBow used years ago but I haven't used it very much. The older model that I have would only sustain one string at a time-newer models will sustain two string and give harmonized feedback, and its a world of differerence!

Decades ago, probably the older model. One-trick-pony for sure, don't know if the new ones are any different.

Great studio tool, gets used once or twice on an album. Not a must-have, but a cool tool when you want a pad type sound but don't want to go to the keyboards...

Great studio tool, gets used once or twice on an album. Not a must-have, but a cool tool when you want a pad type sound but don't want to go to the keyboards...

Huge fan of it, for essentially this reason. Nothing I'd ever gig with, most likely, and I almost never pick it up and just mess around with it, but it's absolutely awesome for adding texture in a recording. I forget exactly how many tracks on the album I'm just wrapping up it ended up on, but probably almost a third.

A couple tracks of ebow harmony plus delay = instant win. I like to sort of "improvise" harmonies rather than following set intervals, just sort of improvising single note lines off scale tones, and then pan them around randomly just to give a sense of movement and s little bit of chaos. Also, the user guide suggests neck pickup, tone off - don't be afraid to break both of those.

I bet. And Steven Wilson got some awesome sounds out of one on a six string acoustic at the start of Porcupine Tree's "Arriving Somewhere (but not here)"

I like the "glissando bar" as used by Steve Hillage and Reeves Gabrel--a 10"-12" piece of steel rod (1/4"to 5/16" dia.) or a long #2 Phillips screwdriver if you like a handle. Use this over the fingerboard with flange, chorus or delay--you can usually get 2 or 3 strings going at once with a light vibrato and move it all over the neck. A lot like a slide, but easier on your hand and no batteries.

I've always wanted one but the price in Oz put me off. I have an effects unit that gives me stringish effects from guitar so I've stuck with that but every month or so I look at the prices for 2nd hand ebows hoping for a bargain excuse to get one.
I'll have to go back over the last LPC album and try to pick the Ebow tracks!

Regular 9 volt, don't know what the battery life is. Had one in a store I worked at and I used it a little to see if I could work it. I think a Sustainer would work better for the way I play.

Thanks for the response @dervish. I like the way Jimmy Page used a real Bow on his Les Paul. Thinking about trying that since I used to play the Violin. Cranking a Marshall as someone posted gives a lot of sustain as well will musical feedback. - Stuart

Back