Any DM24 users with an apogee ad16x, How to connect?

rcktdg

I have been using my DM24 with my motu 2408 mk3 (connected via TDIF) for over a year with great success. I recently added an Apogee AD16x to my rig and I'm having some difficulty recording through it.

I think my question is can a return (ADAT Trk 1-8) be assigned to channels 1-16 and also be assigned to DIRECT output? A tech at Tascam said it was possible. I cannot get it to work. (I called the tech when I was at home, not my studio)

Here's what I tried:
I connected the apogee to my DM24 ADAT IN. I assigned return C:ADAT Trk 1-8 to CH1-8 and set the input source as RETURN. I can get signal from the Apogee to channels 1-8 of the DM24 but these do not make it to the MOTU 2408 in any way. I do not think DIRECT output is valid when a channel is set to a RETURN.

The way I like to work is track on page one (1-16) and mix on page two (17-32). I can setup and easily control monitoring this way. It meets my needs perfectly.

I described my problem to the tech and he said it sounded like a clocking issue. It sounded screwy to me but I went out and bought the shortest TDIF and word cables I could find to connect everything. I've got everthing piled on my desk and the longest cable is is 6 feet long going from the MOTU to the computer. It doesnt make any difference to my recording situation. I must admit that the imaging seems a bit sharper. I will likely keep most of the cables but the three foot TDIF is too short. Unfortunately the only other option is ten feet.

The only way I was able to record anything was to connect the Apogee to the MOTU with Lightpipe. I used the bundled mixer application to send the audio back to the DM24. It worked but seems like it would cramp my workflow.

What to do? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Maybe one of those eight channel pre's with lightpipe out? Any help would be great.

Thanks, RD

Back