Any commerical potential here?

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on two songs called "70" and "Liars in the Cabinets". They are found at www.purevolume.com/followthebirds

Are these good enough for radio or any other outlet?

Listening to 70 at the moment. It seems like it's missing some stuff. The lead
vocal comes into focus, and then when he stops it just seems a bit empty, if
you know what I mean. The 16 bar intro could probably be chopped down to
8 bars. People usually like when the vocals come in early. And normally,
commercial music is between 3-4 minutes. A lot of that song could be
taken out.

Other than that, I love the vibe off it. Real chillout and groovey :D

Listening to Liars in the Cabinets now. Was about to say the intro is really
long but then realised you've no vocals in it :eek: Sorry man, but
I don't think anything without a vocal in it has a chance in commercial music.
It's a really nice track though, I love it! The piano is fantastic, really emotional,
and the effects are pretty cool :D It'd be a great bonus track on an album!

Sorry if that sounded too negative, I like much more about them than I don't ;)

Just my two cents :D

Edit: Just listened to "Plunky"... fuckin amazin track man! Are you guys mainly
an instrumental band?

I don't think anything without a vocal in it has a chance in commercial music.

That depends. For the 99% of all the music that's broadcast...stuff that everybody hears, and few listen to [commercial music], vocals are almost always absent. The primary source of most of this music is production music publishers and libraries. Few of them will even accept submissions with a vocal on it. The clients want music that can be voiced-over...or work as a 'floor' to a movie or advert...or as a backdrop bumper for radio and TV shows and spots. These same publishers, however, want the publishers' rights to the vocal, if one exists: if it's good stuff, and has the potential to sell in a pop music outlet, they'll pitch it. They will exploit the work in whichever way it can make money for them...and the artist. Much vocal commercial work is 'for hire'...or projects commissioned, and given to seasoned artists with a track record.

Monkus: your tune has a lot of potential. Here's what i'd do to make it more attractive...

Use a light instrumentation to substitute for the voices...pan flute...or actual voices singing la la's or something that won't distract from the stuff laid upon it in commercial aps. Follow the instructions at the publishers' sites.

Use a microphone to get the guitars sounding like real guitars...fret noise...dynamics...woodiness.

There's a synth'd chording part? Get it away from the guitars, in its own patch of the panned field.....or widened over the whole..like orchestral strings...or substitute orchestral strings...something with a contrasting quality of tone v. the acoustics. The field is panned kinda narrow, the two instruments are nearly indistinguishable.

Last, go to a production music website, like Manhattan Production Music Library, and listen for a couple hours to some genres like yours. Listen for the quality, ambience, pan, texture, etc. Listen with new ears to film music..songs, score, scene-floors. The general workmanship of that stuff is very, very sophisticated. Note the authors' names...you'll be surprised at who's producing that music...people you'll know....the standards are very high. But there's room for beginners with interesting new sounds and recording protocols.

I like the tune you posted a lot...as I do much of your work. Don't change the arrangements or notes...concentrate on the sounds, pan, ambience: and don't worry about vocals: they're not in-demand....check it out on the 'submission instructions' of production music publishers' websites...where they sometimes solicit new talent to submit. [not those "send us your hit songs" ripoff places...vanity publishers, etc] Demand for vocal tracks is rare.

Do a google: "submissions" "production music publishers" There are hundreds of firms in the business....all over the world. Dig a little. Learn much. Follow the instructions, and submit. You're very close to what many of them search for, IMHO. I can imagine your piece in film, easily.

Submit; expect rejections; keep submitting until you find a house that hears what it likes..and thinks it can sell.......different houses specialize with different clients, often: some sell a lot of garage rock, others, soul, etc.

Nice work. Refine the instruments' sound and pan, foremost. The vocal track is a great listen...just a little too low to grab the verbage.

And, most important, start getting your work in the mail...or begin on-line subs, without delay. Don't wait until you think it's 'perfect'. Let the publisher determine that. You'll be surprised, once you start paying attention to the 99% of music that you heard and never listened to, what sells!

Also, begin to note the names of companies that provide music for the DVD's you watch, etc. That's a good way to find legit places that actually make sales. You want their representation, if you can get it. But keepr in-mind that a lot of start-ups looking for new artists are run by experienced publishers who've built successful businesses, and sold to large companies like SONY. They're repeating their success, often. It's a different universe than the pop music chicken chase. And a lot of pop music artists have jumped the broom into the commercial industry because they're tired of getting screwed by 'labels' and 'distributors'.

Good luck!

That tune 70 is fantastic, but seems like it would require too much of an attention span for most in the era of American Idol.

Since I am categorically not an American Idol fan, I can definitely appreciate your talent. Good stuff.

The Cabinets song is very nice too... I could definitely picture that as part of the soundtrack of an artsy movie (for example).

Matt

Liars in the cabinet...

Mix wise I'm not sure about the tremelo or echo you have on the track. I don't think it's my headphones. I'm getting kind of a echo-y vibrato throughout that I don't care for. There's also a noise of some type at the end which may need to be clipped off.

Beautiful piano playing, wonderful composition. If you don't already, you should get an agent and sell this stuff for commercial purposes. Maybe try TAXI - it's up to their standards I'm sure.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Maybe try TAXI - it's up to their standards I'm sure.

TAXI is a subscription service. The standard is that you have money to send them, and they will blow smoke up your wazoo to keep you sending it. What incentive does a service like TAXI have to hawk their library, if they get paid just to catalog it? How can you know that your product is any good, if you're paying them to tell you how fab it is?

There are hundreds of reputable commercial publishers who will assay your product, and exploit it for mutual benefit. They won't charge a dime. The standards are: that it's a genre for which they have active or potential clients; it's recorded to a standard they are happy with; it's owned soley by the author, you; and you are willing to part with publishing rights for a year or two.

Do not pay anyone to market your music. Repeat: Do not pay.....

Do not give irrevocable publishing rights. Good contracts allow for periodic review, so either you, or the publisher, can elect to discharge all the work, or part of it. Every year or two. You don't want to tie up work with a lazy firm that just sits on your stuff. If it's not moving, if you have an offer...you can terminate assigned rights, and shop it elsewhere.

Save the 'agent' for when you may become an 'in-demand' composer. John Williams needs an agent. A reputable publisher is all the agent you need when you're starting out.

TAXI is not what is says it is; they're trying to build on a new model, and break into the business...while hedging capital risk by selling hope to newbs. The status quo is strong, and growing. Stay with the tried and true.

'Production music library publishing' is not a new thing. It was begun in the 1950's. It flew under the radar , until expanding demand for broadcast music exploded in the last couple decades. And SONY and other big firms are buying up many of these firms. It's a bright future. I wouldn't mess with any publisher who's a subsidiary of Sony or any other 'big five' record company. Don't be impressed by them...they tend to be sharks...and exploit, with alarming regularity, both their clients AND artists....like breathing in and out.

There are scads of little firms, working out of little offices in NY and LA and East Bumf**k Georgia, who have solid relationships with lots of media producers...and have been around for a long time: sole proprieters, who treat their composers right. They'll still be around in ten or 20 years...long after TAXI is gone. And they can land significant contracts, without all the hoopla. And the only way to get them interested in what you do is submit, submit, submit. Google is your friend. And any firm that wants you to pay for the right to submit is not one worth considering.

And a last thing:

There is a very well known and reputable firm in Boston that just began a 'TAXI-like' service: all of the submissions they used to reject? Throw away? Now they tell the newb composers to send them money to maintain a page in their "On Line Library". That's the dump...and you have the opportunity of giving them money for staying in the wastebasket. Never pay....never pay.

Again: NEVER PAY!!!!

Last edited:
OK...one more last thing:

Don't be afraid to submit. Just do it. No mystery...you don't have to 'know somebody'.

Just find a publishing house...read the site to find 'submission policy' and follow the instructions. Do a dozen subs every time you collect a dozen new tunes on a CD.

I don't know if my input will help you or not but IMO the two songs I listened to were not for radio. This is not my music style but I think the last few posters has the right idea. That said, I do think if the music evolves some it could be radio worthy.

Back