Any comments on mixing? (again)

PiCoder

I have recently remixed this tune, so I feel I can finally show it to someone. I need critique on both song content and on mixing since everything that is under my hands. I would also like to hear if it is possible to do something commercial with it. So, I'm ready for some clinic's mental surgery. :)

URL is: http://www.nowhereradio.com/av/

I'll check you out tonight when I get home my friend. Russia eh? Cool:cool: Home of Ocatava:D

Nice melody and groove. It would be cool if you used an actual nylon string for that part. What gear/programs are you using?

Hi again PiCoder. Even though this is not my favorite style of music, it sounds like a good club song for dancing. I agree with JR, that part would sound very nice played on a real guitar. It moves nicely and makes me want to get up and jump up and down. Good job. :D

Thanks guys for comments... So, you think it is a dance music (heh, standards vary with country)?

And sorry for guitars... Just can't do anything with that. I can't play guitar and don't have any idea how to record it not spending money I don't have.

Actually the whole tune was made "placed on the knee" (if you know what that means). I'm using tracker software (FT2 if you know it) for sequencing audio tracks and an offline rendering sampler engine I've made on my own (RenderXM). For mixing I've used Vegas Audio 2.0. No MIDI. Post-production was made using Sound Forge 6.0.

I use VST (via VST->DX adapter) and DX plugins during mixing. For reverbs (there are two of them in the mix) I've used Acoustic Mirror and an Impulse Modeler (that was also made by me and is available for sale if you care). Also I've used Waves MaxxBass for bass drum, Hyperprism Bass Maximiser for bass. Voxengo Stereo Touch for stereo widening on some tracks. 2 DSP/FX Choruses, Hyperprism Chorus and a Voxengo Tempo Delay.

In post-prod I've inserted Tube Amp I've did (it's freeware), Acoustic Mirror with a special impulse (for subtle stereo expansion), Waves LinMB, Cakewalk Tape Sim, Waves LinEQ Broadband (cut lows < 50 Hz and boost highs after mixing), Waves RCL, SF Paragraphic EQ (this one tuned last for correcting some flaws in spectrum), PSP VintageWarmer, my Voxengo Radio and then SF Dither (to 24 bits)... All in that sequence.

My gear is not that cool - Athlon 1333 with 128MB, SB AudioPCI 128, some 'made in china' speakers in plastic box.

So, actually I'm trying to get the best from what I've got. Okay, and I love to tell what I use. :)

You're getting a lot of mileage out of the gear you have, that's for sure. Not the kind of style I normally listen to but you've done this very well. The modulation around 3:00 into the tune was a nice touch.

definitely true to your description. Lots of cool melodic movements embedded in this one. I don't know quite where this would fit, though. it's got all the elements of a good dance hall tune but the strings and bass kick don't seem ballsy enough to get the chicks sweaty if you know what I mean.

Maybe us white kids need extra emphasis on the backbeat, a la Berry Gordy Motown Era. Perhaps that's a limitation of the medium you're in though...or perhaps it's my speakers...

Thanks again. As for "bum-bums" I really have not directed this tune towards dancefloor. Chicks would not go sweaty addicted to such music. ;) (or else I want such chinks now at my home :)

So, can I consider mixing and post-prod I've done "OK"? I understand it is not "super", but can I think it is enough for good demos or maybe for a medium-sized release?

Later I will post another tune (Pocket Monster, hehe), so stay tuned, so to say. ;)

Back