Any clever/useful ideas for minimizing PC hum?

DRMS_7888

I've got a large diaphram and pencil condensor I use to mic most things in my studio (currently the bedroom I stay in when not at uni.) They sound great, but if I doing something delicate on guitar or voice, the computer hum becomes quite noticable when I have to adjust the levels accordingly.

I've got an old Dell dimension 2400 (>_<), and it's pretty damn loud. I can't put it in another room when I am recording. I don't really want to put a blanket over it or something because it would probably burn the whole house down.

Does anyone have cheap ideas on how to lessen this problem (until I can buy a new quieter laptop when I'm out of school)?

Thanks,

Tyler

Or get a long mic cable and record in a different room or a more isolated area. ;)

But I would definitely replace the PSU/fans with quiet ones. Although I think once you open the case and/or replace parts to a Dell then the warranty is void.

if it's an old dell, it's probably not even under warranty any longer. But yeah, change those out, maybe get a hard drive enclosure, and put it in there, to reduce hd noise a lil. Also probably Isolating the computer itself is your best bet.

bigwillz24 said:
Replace the power supply and the cpu fan with "quiet" or "silent" ones. Problem solved.

Yup...those power supplies can be very noisey. There are fanless/silent power supplies out there. They usually have a heat sink that protrude from the rear of the PC but hey, they're silent.

The Antec Phantom500 is fanless and is the same size as any other power supply. The Antec Neo550 has a fan, but it runs in a silent mode. Only problem is that most dell/compaq/hp/etc, use proprietary parts that arent the same size as normal atx.

Back