Any best practices for recording fingerpicking

glomu

Hi,

Would anybody be able to give tips for recording finger picking?

I always assumed that is has to be different from any of the standard acoustic guitar recording techniques due to the fact that no, or very little strumming is involved.

thank you

I always assumed that is has to be different from any of the standard acoustic guitar recording techniques due to the fact that no, or very little strumming is involved.
Not necesarilly. Just keep experimenting. Have you been recording finger picking and have found you're not happy with the sound ?

Hi,

Would anybody be able to give tips for recording finger picking?

thank you

I can't think of any compelling reason why a recording technique need to vary from strumming to fingerpicking.

If you were sitting on your backporch, playing for friends, and you decided to go from strumming to picking . . . you would just do it. The microphone doesn't care.

two things that come to my mind first: dynamics and clarity. If I was strumming on my porch (if I had one :D) that would be very different in these two factors as a minimum compared to fingerpicking on my porch. You are right, the mic would not care, but most likely would not be able to produce sound similar to the mix you find on Tommy Emmanuel's albums.

If you have a listen to my recording here , I used the built in bridge pickup only and very rightfully somebody point out, it is very clear, but a bit flat. Not as if this came by surprise...

Things I would be interested in is:

- how to avoid / exclude unnecessary action noise apart from being able to play like TE, which, as we all know, is not an option for most human beings
- TE uses a mic just next to the soundhole inside the body, is this the only way to go...

thank you

Last edited:
. You are right, the mic would not care, but most likely would not be able to produce sound similar to the mix you find on Tommy Emmanuel's albums.

- how to avoid / exclude unnecessary action noise apart from being able to play like TE, which, as we all know, is not an option for most human beings
- TE uses a mic just next to the soundhole inside the body, is this the only way to go...

thank you

I don't know who Tommy Emmanuel is but I think I understand your question. There is no magic formula. If you want to sound like him then yeah, you need to learn to play as well and use the same gear. Your sound is awesome and sure, you can improve here and there(we all can) but don't stop being you.

Variety is the spice of life. Experiment and use your own discoveries. Who knows you may find your best sound recording tracking your guitar in a drainage ditch during a storm.(or on your future back porch):)

I like experimenting with different natural reverbs. Playing in a foray facing a corner with a couple condensors pointing at me is one of my favorites. I've played inside an empty oil tank once and it sounded awesome. Different buildings, churches etc will all have their own uniquenesses and characteristics that can/will fit your songs moods or not.

By the way, loved your video, thanks for the link. Made me miss N'orlens

Hi,

I am glad you liked the video. Also, I do not want to be like Tommy Emmanuel, mimicking others is always a fake story in the end + even if I could play like him, what is the point? There is already a Tommy Emmanuel, who needs two :-)

All I wanted to say is that I really like the quality of his recordings. If you do not know Tommy Emmanuel, this is a good song to start with: Somewhere Over the Rainbow

But again, the quest is for a similar quality, not for a similar tone / technique / signature playing... there is no point in that.

also, I am planning a few recording sessions and have some ideas for the set up already, but it is always good to hear best practices so that I do not miss anything very obvious.

Thanks once again

Thanks for the link to Tommy Emmanuel.

For a best practice, Leo Kotke told us last night that one of the things he tries to do is something Pete Seeger taught him. He said instead of trying to play like Mickey Mouse with 3 fingers and a thumb he's now playing like he's got five fingers. He said that beat him off at the path. Well you had to be there, lol.

Hey,

I can't say that I do much differently when I record myself fingerpicking as far as technique, but I do increase the amount of compression than what I'd use normally, on the way in.

Hi..

I do a lot of all the options - pure fingerpicking, strumming, and fingerpicking whilst holding a pick betweein thumb and first finger (ie. using the other ones to fingerpick)... whilst the essence of sticking a microphone near your guitar and pressing record on your DAW is the same, there are many other things to be aware of - a short list below - all of these are issues for strumming as well, it's just that they can be more critical when fingerpicking.... mostly they're technique issues to do with your playing, rather than your gear...

Pure fingerpicking is (usually) quieter than strumming - as such you need to keep on top of a fewthings that you're not so worried about when strumming a raucous pop song:

Breathing - if you're watching your fingers as you're playing, your mouth is probably pointing at the mic, roughly... it will pick up loud breathing noises if you're using a condenser. You'll need to learn to breath slowly, deeply, preferably through your mouth (quieter) and quietly, and stay relaxed.

String squeak - can be a nice "feature" or completely ruin the mood. Reduce by (a) practice, practice, practice (b) frequent hand washing in warm water before takes

Incidental noises from your interaction with the guitar - so you need to be careful you're not tapping your feet on the floor (audibly), tapping the guitar accidentally (if you're doing it deliberately, fine...), getting squeak from resting your littlest finger on the pickguard, having clothes rustle when you move whilst playing, having the chair you're sitting on squeak, and having finger and thumb joints crack whilst you're playing (seriously... my cracking thumbs have ruined many a take...)

Finger/string noises - if you're using your fingernails, at least in part, then depending upon the angle of your hand and your style, you will get your nails dragging down the wound strings a bit, rather than directly across them. This generates a noise that you may seek to reduce, depending upon what it is you're playing. That's a technique thing though...

The effect of using your thumb/other fleshy bits to hit a string - if you're using your thumb (the actual flesh) on the lower (pitch) strings, it will have a bassier response than strings hit with your fingernail - it's very easy to get carried away with the thumb and have it drown out the higher pitch strings, resulting in an overly bassy take that really can't be used. This too is a technique thing that can only be learnt by recording, and listening back, and adjusting...

And the other thing you need to think of is that the sound of fingerpicking is quite different from strumming... so you probably will need to change mic position from strumming to picking - again, test and learn on this one. Because the volume is lower, you may tend to move the mic closer, and this can in itself be a bad move, depending upon your guitar and gear as if you're using a cardiod pattern, as you probably will be, this can increase the bass and that, as previously mentioned, may be something you need to work on to control anyway .... but experiment and you'll work it out - a low noise floor from your gear and a low noise environment are really helpful..

Good luck... :drunk:

PS.... as an Australian, I'm well aware of Tommy Emmanuel... and I have the obligatory DVD... scary what he gets up to! :)

Breathing has ruined a good number of good takes for me.

But, a lot of the classical stuff I listen to (Elliott Fisk, Christopher Parkening, even Andre Segovia) I can hear the breath and some movement in the chair, and other studio noises.

But, a lot of the classical stuff I listen to (Elliott Fisk, Christopher Parkening, even Andre Segovia) I can hear the breath and some movement in the chair, and other studio noises.

Alot of it, In my opinion, depends on the "feel" that you are trying to achieve. If you listen to Damien Rice ('Accidental Babies' & '9 Crimes' for example), you can hear chair movements, breathing, and other noises like aaron mentioned. I think part of the reason these were not taken out was to add to a more "live" or intimate "in your livingroom" feel to the song. I know that I have actually purposely added some sounds like that to add to a more natural, live and intimate feel to acoustic recordings. If you take out all of that and get everything to "perfect" sometimes it can make the recording sound robotic. That may be good for a rock song that will have other instruments build, but maybe for a folk or acoustic song, it may make it sound unnatural.

thank you for the tips guys... also, in many cases I do like the noise made by chairs, it gives a special taste to the whole recording...

thank you for the tips guys... also, in many cases I do like the noise made by chairs, it gives a special taste to the whole recording...

All this depends entirely on how loud these extraneous noises are..... some might like to throw the words "authentic" and "organic" around - I just tend to think "unprofessional" - but that's just me. :eek:

Obviously things make noise - and you can't eliminate it all - but you should try to reduce as many of them as far as possible - so you don't sit on the squeaky chair, wear crisp cotton shirts with buttons, tap your foot with gay abandon etc.

Good luck. Report back when you've recorded something... :drunk:

Back