Any ART Tube MP Studio V3 users here?

KrispyDK

Hello there,

I went and got myself an ART Tube MP Studio V3 preamp fairly cheap off the net and am wondering if I got a dud?

My problem is the noise it makes. I've read a lot of reviews and obviously noise came up a lot. I wasn't expecting anything like top or even mid range quality from a cheap unit like this but I was hoping it would be usable!

Here's my experience with it:

I am plugging the unit into a small 25w peavey guitar amp without anything plugged into the V3's input.

If I set both the input and output levels midway (12 o'clock) without its +20db button pressed in there is a small amount of hiss present with an occasional rustling noise creeping in.

If I then switch the +20db pad on, the hiss becomes extreme. In fact, with +20db turned on, you cannot raise the output level above the first indicator without the unit becoming unusable due to it's hiss.

Is this normal for the Studio V3? Have I got a dud? Is the valve dead (it doesn't seem to glow at all and I'm not sure whether I should expect it to?)?

If anyone here owns one and will admit to it(!) I'd love to hear whether this is normal behaviour or if i need to return it.

Thanks in advance...

i actually dont have the Studio V3, but i got a Art tubeamp few days ago, which i havent tryed out yet, but i think it has the same noise problem, so i have already ordered a new tube and also planning to change some chips to see, if it gets better or not. i will keep you informed if you are interested.;)

I tend to agree southside. I'd say it was bordering on unusable so I don't care how cheap it is.

The shop has been cool though - told me to keep it for a few days and if I'm not happy they'll take it back.

Back