Any advice on this post-hardcore mix?

MattReillyMusic

Hello everyone. I recently recorded and mixed an instrumental track for Buffalo, NY post-hardcore band Gretta Moire. Their track, Release The Hounds, is an instrumental song of distorted guitars, big drums and smooth bass.

https://soundcloud.com/reillyproductions/gretta-moire-release-the-hounds

-The song was tracked using my Focusrite 2i4 into Pro Tools 12
-Drums were programmed with Steven Slate Drums 5.
-Guitars were recorded through effects pedals and routed into Waves GTR 3.5 amp sim.
-Bass was tracked through a Presonus Studio Channel tube channel strip and into Waves GTR3.5 amp sim.
-Mixed on JBL LSR305 5" monitors.

Thanks for all feedback on the mix/arrangement/performance!!

Last edited:
Not bad man. I can hear some compressor squish though. May want to pull that back some. I like the tones of everything although I think the main guitars may have alittle too much mid freq in them...but that is purely a personal preference.

Not bad man. I can hear some compressor squish though. May want to pull that back some. I like the tones of everything although I think the main guitars may have alittle too much mid freq in them...but that is purely a personal preference.

Thanks for the input! What specifically is compressed too hard? The guitars? The bass? The mix as a whole? I am asking so I can be cautious with my next mix.

Sounds like the whole mix to me towards 1:20 into song. Whenever kick hits it seems to compress, could be mp3 artifact or soundcloud though. I did give another listen at work and I don't hear much low end at all. I can hear the bass every once in a while when it does a quick run, but the mix as a whole need some bottom in it. I am running a sub and I usually hear TOO MUCH bass, yours I barely hear it. Just my opinion.

Back